Can Charms be moved to the right on screen on Non-Touch systems?

Answers

All replies

• Jimsrply,

The Charms bar on the right of the screen is only with a touch device.  If you have a non-touch device then it is accessible by either hovering your mouse over the bottom left corner of your primary display or by pressing <Windows Key> + C.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:48 PM
  • You can also invoke the "touch charms" via the keyboard by pressing Win+Shift+C.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Jimsrply,

The Charms bar on the right of the screen is only with a touch device. If you have a non-touch device then it is accessible by either hovering your mouse over the bottom left corner of your primary display...
    Yes, but why this fundamental difference? This is just one of many gratuitous differences between the touch and mouse interfaces.

I am a mouse person, and one of the things I like about Metro on a non-touch device is that that I can (or should be able to) use it with the mouse alone. The one thing preventing this is inablity to use the Metro on-screen keyboard, but IMHO there are a lot of other ways in which the mouse interface could be improved.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for confirming what I thought, do you think there be any changes in future releases

to enable repositioning the charms to any part of screen ?

Regards

Jim 

Friday, October 07, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Jimsrply,

Unfortunately that is something that I do not have an answer to.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Would be so awesome if a swipe from the right using the mouse invoked the touch charms.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Would be so awesome if a swipe from the right using the mouse invoked the touch charms.
    I agree.

In another thread I have suggested that edge swiping with the mouse might be done with the right mouse button down. This would help avoid accidental invocation and/or interference with normal windows behavior.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:14 AM