Custom XPerf Graphs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use ETW to track down some performance issues in our driver.  I am able to log trace events and view the trace data as csv files, but I would like to view the data graphically in XPerf.  When I load the trace data into XPerf, the events show up as blips in the generic event viewer graph.  Is there any way to create custom line-graphs and histograms to display my data?

It looks like Log Parser 2.2 can generate very nice graphs of the data, but I would like to overlay the graphs with the standard XPerf graphs so I can more easily see what is really going on in the whole system.  Is this possible?

Thanks,
    ~Leif
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Leif,

Current version of XPerf doesn't provide a public API for extensibility. This is something that we are hard at work on the next major revision of the tools. We did enhance Generic Events graph/summary table support to visualize the payload information in WPT 4.5 (shipping as part of Win7 RC SDK). This will prove quite usefuli for data driven analysis.

For visualization, such as usage graphs and histograms Excel is a good choice (you can export data of interest out of the summary tables. Log Parser migt be a good alternative if you want to automate graph generation.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Milirud Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leif Ames Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:53 PM