none
smb2 client oplock problem when open ppt RRS feed

• Question

• There are some questions about  powerpoint,word,excel u.we found  it  has some relationship to oplocks.

Phenomenon :
    1.When we open a big pptx ,about 40M, the ppt application display the pptx is read only,but we known the attributes is not read only. When opening the pptx , the files is always in loading,reading speed is very slow, and lots of packet is just read 1 bytes.so I think ppt application display read-only because ot in the loading process.But  the status can't change into normal, when  ppt has finished loading.When our mouse foucus on our x.ppt,the application begin to loading again.
    2. I do some test about win7 share,it has some chance to display read-only,and the data packet like us.

When the SMB Client Send CREATE REQUEST to our SMB Server with OPLOCK_BATCH, We send Response whith OPLOCK_NONE. We also reciver some READ request only read 1 byte.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi liujun09,

Thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:36 AM
  • The purpose of this forum is to support the Open Specifications documentation. You can read about the Microsoft Open Specifications program here: http://www.microsoft.com/openspecifications/en/us/default.aspx. The library of Open Specification documents is located here, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd208104(PROT.10).aspx.

It’s not clear from your post if “to our SMB Server” references a SMB server that you are developing or a Window Server that you own or a third-party SMB server that you did not develop but deployed.  Can you elaborate more?  Or, if the root of your question is an Office performance issue, where it behaves the same way with a Microsoft endpoint on the server end or your server.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Hi Bryan, The SMB Server is developed by ourself,  I doubt about the problem between Windows 7 SMB2 Client's OPLOCK operations.

The flow is that:

Win7 SMB CLient                                                                                  SMB Server

CREATE (with SMB2_OPLOCK_LEVEL_BATCH)            ------->

<--------                RESPONSE (whith SMB2_OPLOCK_LEVEL_NONE)

some READs and RESPONSEs between Client and Server.

The problem is occur when the SMB Client send many READ with 1 byte, so the ppt is opened very slow, the result is become read-only.

I have test, when grant SMB2_OPLOCK_LEVE_II or SMB2_OPLOCK_LEVE_BATCH, It's Work OK .

Friday, March 15, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Liujun09,

Can you send network traces to me at “dochelp (at) Microsoft (dot) com” between the Windows client and your server?  And, if you have it, the same Windows client and a Windows system as a server.  It’s not clear from your mail if the behavior you are seeing with your server is the same as with a Windows system as the server.  Also, what version of Office Powerpoint?  You also cited the file size.  What is the “tipping point”?  For instance, do you see what you consider correct behavior with a file half the size?

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Hi, Liujun09,

Just checking in.  I was hoping to receive mail from you to me via "dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com".  See post above for more details.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Liujun09,

I did not see mail sent by you to "dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com", as requested above.  I believe the best way to move this issue forward is to work directly with you with real traces.  Accordingly, I am going to close this thread, but would invite you to e-mail dochelp at which time we can pick the issue up.

Please reference this thread in your mail: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/os_fileservices/thread/2655bba3-0054-4c0b-a247-65fd03af9e53?prof=required.

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Thanks Bryan .  I have submit a bug case to the microsoft technology support team. The analysis result is that some the third party hook software casue that.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:01 AM