AppFabric Auto-Start Clobbering applicationHost.config

Question

• We deployed a new application to a server with AppFabric installed and decided to give Auto-Start a whirl. No other applications hosted on this server currently leveraged it. Once we enabled it however, all applications became unavailable and looking at an individual app pool's config (via c:\inetpub\temp\appPools\{apppoolname}.config revealed the following error:

<!-- ERROR: There's been an error reading or processing the applicationhost.config file.  Line number: 445  Error message: Unrecognized attribute 'serviceAutoStartMode'

--> 

This now appears for every application. Something about Auto-Start is clobering the servers applicationHost.config file. 

Once we set auto-start backed to "Disabled" for the offending app, the applicationHost.config file was magically OK again. 

The oddest thing about this however is that there were actually two servers configured this way and while one server was working just fine after Auto-Start was enabled, the other exhibited this odd behavior.

Can someone please advise? Thanks!

Blades Don't Need Reloading...
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• This link seems to echo your problem: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637718.aspx. Is it possible AppFabric was reinstalled or uninstalled or something triggered an reinstall/uninstall?

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:06 PM
  • AppFabric wasn't reinstalled/uninstalled since it's initial install.
    Blades Don't Need Reloading...
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Did you you have several AppFabrics pointing to the same config by a chance?
    Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:34 PM
  • I'm currently facing the problem as well. Its a new install of AppFabric on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit with IIS 7.5. Has this issue been resolved? If so, please do let me know how to resolve this issue. Thank you.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Installing AppFabric 1.1. after initial 1.0 installation solved the problem for me.

• Edited by m-r-t Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:47 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:47 AM