How To : Include snippets into a package if possible RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I followed this walkthrough Implementing Code Snippets . This works great on my computer, but once it's deployed on another computer, snippets are not deployed into the directory specified in the ProvideLanguageCodeExpansion attribute of the Package. The folder is created, but snippets are not present in this directory . Am i missing something ?

Thanks  

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

• Nop,

Snippets are not installed in the directory specified by the ProvideLanguageCodeExpansion attribute.

So i wanted to know if there is a special path variable that aims the addin directory because i can include snippets files in the vsix.

Following the tutorial, there's no way to make the sample work on another computer after building it and deploying it using the vsix.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Friday, September 7, 2012 6:27 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Mathias,

If we do these steps as following below, can we find the snippets?

Tools->Code Snippets Manager

Here is an article about how to publish code snippets you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms242311.aspx

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:54 AM
  • I don't want to publish my snippets, i want to deploy it with the package. Problem with vsi is that i can't bundle it with the package. And if i could, installation would fail because language isn't yet installed.

Is there any ohter way to do this ?

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Mathias,

Can you install you .vsix file to your target computer? Do the edition and framework version meet with your seting in your .vsixmainifest file?

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Target computer meets all requirements. Snippet folder is created, but snippets are not in the folder.

Mathias

Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Hi Mathias,

Can you share your project on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

thanks.

Ego [MSFT]

Monday, August 13, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Little bit complicated to send this project.

But, it think the problem is here : in the documentation linked here , it says that %InstallDir% can be changed to another directory, is there a way to specify the vsix folder, because snippets are included in it. I tried a relative path but it does not work. Are there any other path variable like %InstallDir% ??

Thanks

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hi Mathias,

You are right. We can define the directory where we want to install the snippets.

Howeve the issue you met was that you can't find the snippet file in the target directory, can you now?

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Nop,

Snippets are not installed in the directory specified by the ProvideLanguageCodeExpansion attribute.

So i wanted to know if there is a special path variable that aims the addin directory because i can include snippets files in the vsix.

Following the tutorial, there's no way to make the sample work on another computer after building it and deploying it using the vsix.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Friday, September 7, 2012 6:27 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 8:57 AM