Possible SQL VSS Writer Service Names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one doubt related with SQL Server VSS Writer service name and hope some one should be able to clarify this.

I have installed SQL 2005 Express edition and the display name of its VSS Writer is like "SQL Server VSS Writer". When I used the command SC GetKeyName "SQL Server VSS Writer" , the output came as SQLWriter [which is the actual service name].  Following are my questions:

1) Will the default display name SQL Server VSS Writer change for different SQL Server installations or this display name will never change?

2) Will the service name SQLWriter change for different SQL Server installations or this name will never change and will remain the same in all machines for all types of SQL Server installations?

Awaiting the help,

Many thanks,

Nesan Joseph R.

• Edited by nesanjoseph Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:31 PM alignment changes
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi nesanjoseph,

The SQL Server VSS Writer is a shared feature among SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. It will only be installed once, the subsequently SQL Server instances will not install it again.

In the current versions of SQL Server, the display name of SQL Writer is SQL Server VSS Writer and the service name is SQLWriter.. However there is no guarantee whether the name of SQL Server VSS Writer will be changed or not until the new version of  SQL Server release.

Thanks,

Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by nesanjoseph Monday, February 14, 2011 7:59 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:21 AM

All replies

•  

Hi nesanjoseph,

The SQL Server VSS Writer is a shared feature among SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2. It will only be installed once, the subsequently SQL Server instances will not install it again.

In the current versions of SQL Server, the display name of SQL Writer is SQL Server VSS Writer and the service name is SQLWriter.. However there is no guarantee whether the name of SQL Server VSS Writer will be changed or not until the new version of  SQL Server release.

Thanks,

Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by nesanjoseph Monday, February 14, 2011 7:59 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Thanks.  Do you say, till now there is no change, but it may change in future?

Nesan Joseph R.

Nesan Joseph R.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

I have one doubt related with SQL Server VSS Writer service name and hope some one should be able to clarify this.

I have installed SQL 2005 Express edition and the display name of its VSS Writer is like "SQL Server VSS Writer". When I used the command SC GetKeyName "SQL Server VSS Writer" , the output came as SQLWriter [which is the actual service name].  Following are my questions:

1) Will the default display name SQL Server VSS Writer change for different SQL Server installations or this display name will never change?

2) Will the service name SQLWriter change for different SQL Server installations or this name will never change and will remain the same in all machines for all types of SQL Server installations?

Awaiting the help,

Many thanks,

Nesan Joseph R.

This is sort of a question on which only SQL server Product team can give you a more reliable answer but as far as I know the name for this service SQL server VSS writer and application ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe") hasn't changed from installting SQL server 2005 through to Denali , I am not sure about SQL 2000 as I haven't worked a lot on it.

Thanks, Leks
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Weilin Qiao and Leks. I take Leks' response as a confirmation for the answer given by Weilin Qiao. This detail is quite enough as of now and I am going to hardcode as SQLWriter in my programs.

Nesan Joseph R.

Nesan Joseph R.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:59 AM