none
Microsoft Word Imbedded Index Entries RRS feed

• Question

• I publish a VBA utility that automates the insertion of Microsoft Word index entries using an Excel template.  Is there any change in Word 2010 (or planned for the future) that would modify the basic structure of the indexing entry {XE "header:sub-header" t\"cross-reference" r\"bookmark"}?

http://indexing.vbatech.com

Thanks.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

• I am pretty certain that there has been not change in the way that the fields work themselves - at least creating an index from a concordance file still works the same way and I assume that the application that you are (not selling, but charging for the use of) is in some way building the equivalent of a concordance file.

Without seeing the code being used by your application, there is no way of knowing if it will work in Office 2010, but it probably will because

(a)    If you are using Late Binding, it will probably be version independent.

(b)    If you use Early Binding and the development is done in an earlier version of the software, the references are (usually) updated automatically. (The reverse is not true.  Something developed in a later version will break if run in an earlier version.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"vbatech" wrote in message news:26470e64-15e7-4d7d-b0b7-50c9374231ed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I publish a VBA utility that automates the insertion of Microsoft Word index entries using an Excel template.  Is there any change in Word 2010 (or planned for the future) that would modify the basic structure of the indexing entry {XE "header:sub-header" t\"cross-reference" r\"bookmark"}?

Thanks.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by vbatech Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:49 PM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:40 PM

All replies

• I am pretty certain that there has been not change in the way that the fields work themselves - at least creating an index from a concordance file still works the same way and I assume that the application that you are (not selling, but charging for the use of) is in some way building the equivalent of a concordance file.

Without seeing the code being used by your application, there is no way of knowing if it will work in Office 2010, but it probably will because

(a)    If you are using Late Binding, it will probably be version independent.

(b)    If you use Early Binding and the development is done in an earlier version of the software, the references are (usually) updated automatically. (The reverse is not true.  Something developed in a later version will break if run in an earlier version.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"vbatech" wrote in message news:26470e64-15e7-4d7d-b0b7-50c9374231ed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I publish a VBA utility that automates the insertion of Microsoft Word index entries using an Excel template.  Is there any change in Word 2010 (or planned for the future) that would modify the basic structure of the indexing entry {XE "header:sub-header" t\"cross-reference" r\"bookmark"}?

Thanks.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by vbatech Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:49 PM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Doug-

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:51 PM