ESP Dev Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

If you run esp in -dev mode it is the same as FSX.  Without -dev most of the options are disabled.  Are there more command line switches to enable/disable individual options?  For example, can I run esp without dev mode, but enable the "Select Aircraft" option.  Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Bobby
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• Bobby,

I don't think there is a command line switch that will enable only the "Select Aircraft" menu item. You should definitely take a look at the solution deployment section of the documentation, and the ESP Launcher demo from the - Microsoft ESP > 1.0 > SDK > ESPLauncher - folder. You can use the launcher to make a variety of flights/missions available before ESP loads up. That launcher executable is just a sample, you can write your own, essentially it is a GUI that determines which switches are used when ESP is launched. The source code for the sample is in the SDK.

A second alternative might be to add some custom menu items using SimConnect_MenuAddItem and have the buttons make use of SimConnect_FlightLoad; you could have the same flight saved in several different files, each of which loads with a different aircraft. This should enable you to change mission and aircraft whilst ESP is open; whereas the launcher demo opens and closes ESP each time the flight file changes.

Hope that helps,

James.

Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:43 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Bobby,

I don't think there is a command line switch that will enable only the "Select Aircraft" menu item. You should definitely take a look at the solution deployment section of the documentation, and the ESP Launcher demo from the - Microsoft ESP > 1.0 > SDK > ESPLauncher - folder. You can use the launcher to make a variety of flights/missions available before ESP loads up. That launcher executable is just a sample, you can write your own, essentially it is a GUI that determines which switches are used when ESP is launched. The source code for the sample is in the SDK.

A second alternative might be to add some custom menu items using SimConnect_MenuAddItem and have the buttons make use of SimConnect_FlightLoad; you could have the same flight saved in several different files, each of which loads with a different aircraft. This should enable you to change mission and aircraft whilst ESP is open; whereas the launcher demo opens and closes ESP each time the flight file changes.

Hope that helps,

James.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey,

In ESP V1 this isn't possible, the menus are an all or nothing sort of deal.  We are looking into additional UI options for ESP V2, so this might be possible in the future.

Tim

http://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com/
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Thanks for the help guys.  I'll look into working with the launcher program.  The only problem is that it is in some C# which I'm not familiar with.  Is this language better for making GUIs. 

I think additional UI options for V2 would be a nice touch.

Thanks
    Bobby
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Bobby,

You should be able to make your Launcher in pretty much any language you like; obviously SimConnect is easier to access through .NET so I'd recommend that. Feel free to drop me an email if you want any help working on your launcher.

James.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Bobby,

At this point, I would look into using .Net and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation), as once you learn how to use WPF, it makes it really easy to create nice looking UI (well, OK, my apps still look like a developer created them, but if you learn and follow the rules its much easier to get a designer type to pretty up the UI :->).

You could certainly create a launcher app using C++/MFC (or straight C and Win32 API calls if that's your thing :->), you just need to be able to execute another app and pass along command line params to it.

One thing that might not be documented real well is that you can return to your launcher app without exiting ESP (Alt-TAB or similar), and pass a new set of command line params to the running instance (well, you execute a new instance with your new command line params, and that instance will pass the params along to the running instance).

Tim
    http://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com/
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:05 PM
  • I'm looking at the msdn site and it recommends "Application = Code + Markup : A Guide to WPF" book.  WPF looks and sounds interesting so I think I'll go buy this book. 

Thanks again
    Bobby
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:46 PM