none
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly when trying to start Apache Hadoop services RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully installed the HDInsight Emulator for Azure by following the steps from this:  Writing Hadoop Map Reduce Jobs. According to the steps i tried starting all the Hadoop services from the services.mcs.

Where i got this error:

Any help would be appreciated!

Happy Coding!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your NameNode.xml seems to be corrupt for some reason with invalid arguments. Did you restart your system after installing the emulator? a restart should be worth trying.

Also, I mailed you a good NameNode.xml file. Please replace your file with mine and check if the NameNode service starts now.

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Kulasangar Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you get the error starting any of the Apache services or only the Datanode service?

Also, could you try to start the service from an elevated command prompt (Run As Administrator) and check if you get any detailed error message there?

You can start the service from the command prompt using: NET START Datanode

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply DerbarchanS.

I'm unable to start these services:

datanode, derbyserver, hiveserver2, MapReduceJobHistoryServer, metastore, namenode, secondarynamenode, templeton.

Where as "nodemanager, ooziservice, resourcemanager, timelineserver, zkServer" are running.

I tried to start it through the cmd as an admin, but still its the same.

Happy Coding!

• Edited by Kulasangar Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

OK, let's take one service at a time and let's focus on the NameNode service. Navigate to the following location in your system: C:\hdp\hadoop-2.4.0.2.1.3.0-1981\bin

You should see 2 files there:

1 - namenode.trace.log
    2 - namenode.xml

Send these two files to me: debarchansarkar at hotmail.com

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Yes sure, i've already sent you those two files and would be great if i could find the work around. Thanks

Happy Coding!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

Your NameNode.xml seems to be corrupt for some reason with invalid arguments. Did you restart your system after installing the emulator? a restart should be worth trying.

Also, I mailed you a good NameNode.xml file. Please replace your file with mine and check if the NameNode service starts now.

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Kulasangar Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Nop, i didn't do a restart after the installation, anyways ill give a try on that as well as replacing the namenode file you gave. I'll make the changes and let you know further..

Thanks.

Happy Coding!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Yes it works like a charm,  after i replaced the namenode file with yours.  What was the issue with mine?

What should i do for the other services which has the same issue?

Happy Coding!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Well, not sure how they got corrupted. I will send you the xml files for the other services that you mentioned having problems.

Regards

DebarchanS - MSFT

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:21 PM
  • yeah exactly, that would be great! These are the ones which are still having problems in starting:

datanode, derbyserver, hiveserver2, MapReduceJobHistoryServer, metastore, secondarynamenode, templeton

Thanks again.

Happy Coding!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Could you post those XML files for all to see? I'm having exactly the same problem.

Better still, could we get a fixed installer? I have need for the emulator in a few places.

Friday, February 6, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

I will upload the xml files in my public skydrive folder and post the link tomorrow.

The installer is fixed, it works for me as it works for many others. This seems to be an environment specific issue which is difficult to solve through forum threads such as these. If you want to track the root of this problem, I'd suggest you to open a support request with Microsoft Support so that we can diagnose your environment in detail and hunt it down.

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT ----------------------------- This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 6, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Link for MS support?
    Friday, February 6, 2015 6:01 PM
  • Microsoft Customer Support

DebarchanS - MSFT ( This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Saturday, February 7, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Have you got those updates XML files uploaded?
    Monday, February 9, 2015 2:43 AM
  • Yes, you can find them here - http://1drv.ms/1A93hQP
    The name of the file is EmulatorConfigFiles.zip.

Regards.

DebarchanS - MSFT ( This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hi, Im also having the same problems. Just opened your onedrive but cant see the namenode.xml? can you supply this please?

Regards

Dave

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:38 PM
  • Make that two. I also need the namenode.xml.

Everything else works fine now, thanks.

Still can not help but believe this is a problem in the installer. How else would the config files become corrupted?

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Oh, I just noticed another corrupt XML file: timelineserver. Will you please also include that one?

Question: Where does the templeton file go? I do not see one in my installation, but the start_all... script reports a failure.

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Hi templeton file goes here C:\hdp\hive-0.13.0.2.1.3.0-1981\hcatalog\bin

Regards

Dave

Monday, February 9, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the updated link for the zip which includes all the config files:
    http://1drv.ms/1xZJa1E

Regards

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

As Dave mentioned the templeton config file goes in: C:\hdp\hive-0.13.0.2.1.3.0-1981\hcatalog\bin

Regards

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

As more and more people start reporting, I am inclined to agree with you. I will try to reproduce this problem tomorrow in my lab.

Regards

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Thanks. All services running now.
    Monday, February 9, 2015 10:27 PM
  • OK, all services are started, however all hadoop commands are failing:

PS C:\hdp> hadoop fs -ls /
    Error: Could not find or load main class Nunez

(Nunez is my user name)

Related to the config files?

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:01 PM
  • I think I have a clue. It looks like some commands do not like the -Dhadoop.id.str variable with a space in them. To fix the above error I tried inserting my own ID string, as the installer had it originally:

-Dhadoop.id.str=Steve Nunez

doing so gave me the same 1067 error.

putting the id string in quotes solves the start-up problem:

-Dhadoop.id.str="Steve Nunez"

but, sadly, doesn't fix the 'hadoop fs' commands.

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:59 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Not sure at this point if the Hadoop command failures are related to the config files. Can I please request you to start a new thread in the forum with this so that we can track them efficiently?

Regards.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:23 AM
  • Thanks DebarchanS
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Hi Debarchan,

Thanks for supplying these xml files. I've replaced the files and manged to start the services, however the namenobe keeps stopping and restarting, this is also the same for the YARN TimelineServer service. Can you explain why this may be happening?

Regards

Dave

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Hi Dave,

We will need to check the log files for the services. For the namenode service that will be namenode.trace.log in the C:\hdp\hadoop-2.4.0.2.1.3.0-1981\bin folder.

Also, can I request you to start a new thread with this problem? It will help us keep a better track of the forum threads and also be helpful for others instead of going through this 1 long thread.

Regards.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Hi Debarchan

I've now created a new thread for this issue.

Regards

Dave
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Thanks, I do not see it yet though in the Azure HDInsight forums.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Should be there now.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:41 AM