none
Extracting the collection of unique values from a filter in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a file which has rows extending to tens of thousands across 8 columns. One particular column contains the weekend date. I have to count the number of weekends present in this file.

Is there a way to extract this collection of unique values (of that column), by using the AutoFilter object?

In case the question is vague:

think about the drop-down list which comes up when we apply a filter on a particular column. That list must be represent a collection of some kind internally, I guess. If we can extract and get the count of this collection, then the problem is solved.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, August 8, 2015 8:29 AM

All replies

• Let's say the dates are in F2:F10000.

If you only want to count the number of unique dates, you can use the following array formula, confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter:

=SUM(1/COUNTIF(F1:F10000,F1:F10000))

This will fail if there are blanks in the date column. You can then use (also confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter):

=IF(F1:F10000<>"",SUM(1/COUNTIF(F1:F10000,F1:F10000)))

If you want a list of unique dates, you can use Advanced Filter:

• Copy the field name (column heading) of the date column to another cell on the same sheet. There shouldn't be any data below this cell.
    • Click anywhere in your data.
    • On the Data tab of the ribbon, in the Sort & Filter group, click Advanced.
    • Excel will select the entire data table and display the Advanced Filter dialog.
    • Select 'Copy to another location' under Action.
    • Click in the 'Copy to:' box and point to the cell where you copied the field name.
    • Tick the check box 'Unique records only'.
    • Click OK.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:03 AM