Suggestions for the new Blue Screen of Death

General discussion

• The Frowny Face of Doom has made its appearance, so what's the verdict? Should it have more information? The biggest comment I've read (from tech journalists) on it is that it still doesn't help determine what went wrong (for unsophisticated users). Is that comment valid?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• It tells you what to search for to find more information, which could help some normal users, but more info would be nice.

Also, the message should stay visible longer. When I had a BSOD it rebooted after 10 seconds - not much time for a regular user to write it down, especially if they don't have a pen and paper ready. Maybe make it 20-30 seconds with an option to "press any key to restart now."

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Does the new BSOD leave a log of errors somewhere? That would be helpful for looking them up
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:05 AM
  • I think that is something you can already more or less change in the System->Advance->Startup and recovery section.

You can at least turn off the auto reboot.

Plus most of it should be in the system event log if the option is enabled, but thats not something a regular user will check.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Agreed, many wont check the logs, and many also don't know you can change the settings so a slightly longer delay could help.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hi, I would love to have a option to get more information on the crash.

Best would be, if possible, a integration of the result of a "Windows debugging Tools" windbg/cdb tool commando !analyze, if installed, but thats propably asking for to much.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:04 PM