How to make curved arrows in Expression Design ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have done this logo (http://123informatique.ch/z_images/logo_123informatique.png) in Photoshop and now, I want to do the same in Expression Design to have a vector file that I can rezise how I want when I need.

The text is not a problem. But I'm not able to do the curved arrow.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some indications or a link for a tutorial.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. Regards (thanks to write a good english as it is not my motherlanguage).

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:02 AM

Answers

• Bonjour !

Here is the stroke for you; copy it to your Stroke folder.

http://cid-b6d1dabbf49f6e3c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Expression%20Stuff/arrow%20taper/big%20arrow%20tapershaft.sks

Suggest you use the B-Spline tool to draw the line; it makes smooth curves easily.  Then apply the stroke and adjust the stroke width in the Appearance palette.  You may have to reverse the path (Object>Reverse path--or Control + R) to get the arrowhead on the correct end.

Have fun!

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by TNalias Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Strokes are not in the usual expression folder under program files, they are under programdata, like Fred said: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes

This folder may be hidden and that's why you are not seeing it. Type the path in the address bar, and you should be able to access it. Remember to copy the stroke while design is closed.

(Should be nice for Design to let people import and export more easily strokes!)

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:28 PM

All replies

• Bonjour !

Here is the stroke for you; copy it to your Stroke folder.

http://cid-b6d1dabbf49f6e3c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Expression%20Stuff/arrow%20taper/big%20arrow%20tapershaft.sks

Suggest you use the B-Spline tool to draw the line; it makes smooth curves easily.  Then apply the stroke and adjust the stroke width in the Appearance palette.  You may have to reverse the path (Object>Reverse path--or Control + R) to get the arrowhead on the correct end.

Have fun!

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:15 PM
  • First of all, merci beaucoup for your answer :)

I'm a new user with Expression Design and I've not found the Stroke folder (or something like so in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Design 3). In addition, I was unable to open the *.sks file with Expression Design 3. Shall I do something special ?

Thanks for the instruction at the end of your instruction. I'll try them as soon as I will be able to import or use your stroke in my project.

Best regards & Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Click on the stroke link and download the stroke (.sks) to your desktop.  With Expression Design closed, move it or copy it to your Strokes folder in the Pointers folder.

In Windows 7 the folder is here>>  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Pointers

When you open Expression, the stroke will appear in the Pointers category.  You can choose/apply it either before or after you draw the B-spline line. 

Let me know if this works for you.

~Fred
    • Edited by Fred C_ Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:00 AM spelling
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Thank you for your help. Here is a screenshot of my Expression Design's folder :
    http://cid-a290b25840c47009.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Expression%20Design%20-%20Folder.PNG

As you can see, I've not the "Strokes" folder (or the same in French). Which version do you have ?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Strokes are not in the usual expression folder under program files, they are under programdata, like Fred said: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes

This folder may be hidden and that's why you are not seeing it. Type the path in the address bar, and you should be able to access it. Remember to copy the stroke while design is closed.

(Should be nice for Design to let people import and export more easily strokes!)

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Thanks a lot. I've succeed to add the file in the good directory ;-)

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Just in case you haven't found the strokes folder, I have linked an Expression Design file that includes the arrow.  Just download it and open the file and select the arrow and choose to add it to the strokes folder; the little gear icon at lower left of the strokes palette is where it's found.

Design file here:

http://cid-b6d1dabbf49f6e3c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Expression%20Stuff/arrow%20taper/add%20arrow%20stroke.design

Elena is correct; just a simple import function for strokes would be welcomed.

Let me know if this works.

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Suggest you use the B-Spline tool to draw the line; it makes smooth curves easily.  Then apply the stroke and adjust the stroke width in the Appearance palette.  You may have to reverse the path (Object>Reverse path--or Control + R ) to get the arrowhead on the correct end.

Thanks for your instructions, it works perfect :-)

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Thanks for your instructions, it works perfect :-)

Great!  FYI--all I did was redefine the 'Big Arrow 2'; I reduced the nodes to one at the smallest taper end and 'anchored' it to the start--remaining nodes anchored to the end, then renamed and saved it.  Check out the Help file regarding creating custom strokes; you can create some amazing strokes.

Have fun!

~Fred
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Thanks a lot Fred !! I begin to "smell" the power of Expression Design. I'll really try to use it a time instead of Photoshop.

I really appreciated your help.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:43 PM
  • ...I begin to "smell" the power of Expression Design...

Funny you should use that term...continuing...some of the stroke creation functions 'stink'. Both bitmap and vector elements in strokes still break up and/or deform.  Strokes created with color do not retain their attributes.  There are a good number of stroke problems that probably won't ever be fixed; the developers don't seem to care.  Oh well!  Enjoy!

Happy to help!

~Fred
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:20 PM