Site Actions Tab RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is the Site Actions tab permissions based as far as who it shows up for?

Is the Site Actions tab the only way to get to edit mode of the page?

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:41 PM

Answers

•  

The Site Actions tab is not only available to User/Gropus in the Full Control Permission set. You can see the Site Actions tab without being in Full Control Permission sets. Set up a publishing site and place someone in the "Members" group. They do not have Full Control, but they can see the Site Actions tab. However, the menu items in the Site Actions tab are security trimmed. If a user does not have permissions for any of the menu items in the Site Actions tab, then they won't see it.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:45 PM

All replies

• Yes, the Site Actions is security trimmed based on your permissions.

Using an out of the box SharePoint site, the site actions tab is the only way I know to get to the edit mode of the page (there might be some backdoor way I am not aware of - but I haven't seen it yet). However, you could always customize another way. But, that will be security trimmed also.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hi there,
    1. Site Action tab is visible only to User/Group who must have the Full Control Permission set.
    2. No Site Action is not the only way to edit mode a page, There can be deffirent ways to edit a page. As follows :
    • You can directly browse to Shared Document List and edit pages in Designer, ex: http://SomeSP//Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx
    • If you have Publishing Feature Active, You can go to All Contents and Edit any Page/Master/Check out

regards
    Akashya

• Proposed as answer by 1madvet Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:06 PM
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:19 PM
  •  

The Site Actions tab is not only available to User/Gropus in the Full Control Permission set. You can see the Site Actions tab without being in Full Control Permission sets. Set up a publishing site and place someone in the "Members" group. They do not have Full Control, but they can see the Site Actions tab. However, the menu items in the Site Actions tab are security trimmed. If a user does not have permissions for any of the menu items in the Site Actions tab, then they won't see it.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:45 PM