Context-sensitive Help in Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Using Access 2010 running under Windows 7 and am having problems getting context-sensitive help to work.The subject isn't covered in the books I've looked at and the sites on the Web that I've found don't seem to relate to Access 2010. Can someone, please, point me to a good source of information?

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:21 AM

Answers

• I've found the solution to my problem.

As so often happens, I was previously looking in the wrong places for a solution.

Here's the solution:

I'm using an HP Pavilion laptop computer in which the keys at the top of the keyboard serve two purposes, as is shown by the inscriptions on those keys. For example, the inscription on the key to the right of the Esc key is f1 at the top (in quite small letters) and ? at the center. By default, the action of the key is what is indicated by the symbol at the center of the key. To make the the key act as a function key, it's necessary to hold down the fn key (the key at the bottom of the keyboard at the right of the Ctrl key) while pressing the key marked f1 and ? in the top row of keys. Unfortunately, this double use of the top row of keys is not explained in the paperwork that comes with the Pavilion computer.

The problem I was experiencing was caused by the fact that I was just pressing the key marked f1 ?, not holding down the fn key.

Now, after creating the compiled help file and setting the Help File and Help File Id properties in a database, the custom help items are correctly displayed in a pop-up dialog box when I hold down fn while pressing F1.

I have to confess that I feel like a dummy for making such an elementary mistake.

Monday, December 9, 2013 12:00 AM

All replies

• No replies so far to the question about creating custom help for an Access 2010 database that I posted a couple of days ago.

I've done more research on the Web and found an article from Microsoft titled "How to create an HTML Help system by using either HTMLHelp API or the HTML Help in Access." That article contains detailed instructions for using HTML Help Workshop, but applies specifically to Access 2003 and to the version of HTML Help Workshop that was current in the Access 2003 era.

I figured I could probably follow those steps in general, making minor adjustments as required by Access 2010 and the current version of HTML Help Workshop. That only partially worked.

I followed the steps in the Microsoft article up to the point of creating a compiled HTML Help file that contains help topics for a TextBox control and a Button control. I double-clicked that file (in Windows Explorer) and saw a pop-up window that contained the text of one of the help topics. That seemed to confirm that my compiled HTML Help file was okay.

The problem came when I attempted to integrate the Help file into a database. I created a form that contains a TextBox control and a Button control. In the property sheet, I set the Help File property of the form to the name of the compiled Help file, and set the Help Context Id properties of the two controls to the values defined in the Map.h file used in the HTML Help file (1 and 2 respectively).

With the form displayed in Form view, I moved the focus to each of the two controls in turn and pressed F1 each time, expecting to see the appropriate help topics. No luck! Each time, Windows help (not Access help) was displayed.

I should add that all the files associated with HTML Help, together with the database, are in the same folder.

What am I doing wrong?

Friday, December 6, 2013 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 6, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Thanks, Fei

I look forward to seeing what the senior engineers might suggest.

In the meantime, I'll continue exploring the matter and will post anything useful I discover.

Friday, December 6, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I've found the solution to my problem.

As so often happens, I was previously looking in the wrong places for a solution.

Here's the solution:

I'm using an HP Pavilion laptop computer in which the keys at the top of the keyboard serve two purposes, as is shown by the inscriptions on those keys. For example, the inscription on the key to the right of the Esc key is f1 at the top (in quite small letters) and ? at the center. By default, the action of the key is what is indicated by the symbol at the center of the key. To make the the key act as a function key, it's necessary to hold down the fn key (the key at the bottom of the keyboard at the right of the Ctrl key) while pressing the key marked f1 and ? in the top row of keys. Unfortunately, this double use of the top row of keys is not explained in the paperwork that comes with the Pavilion computer.

The problem I was experiencing was caused by the fact that I was just pressing the key marked f1 ?, not holding down the fn key.

Now, after creating the compiled help file and setting the Help File and Help File Id properties in a database, the custom help items are correctly displayed in a pop-up dialog box when I hold down fn while pressing F1.

I have to confess that I feel like a dummy for making such an elementary mistake.

Monday, December 9, 2013 12:00 AM