'aks' isnot in the 'az' command group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi --

This one is driving me nuts.  I would like to use the az aks command set from a powershell running on my local windows 10 machine that is connected via a vpn to the Dell PowerEdge machine that my azure stack and aks are installed on.  I'm able to SSH into the kubernetes cluster and see that everything is healthy.  But I would like to manage things from Powershell.  But trying any az aks command (or az acr, for that matter) always brings up this error: 'aks' ('acr') is not in the 'az' command group

I have installed, uninstallled, and reinstalled Azure CLI several times on the Windows 10 machine, and can use basic az commands to login to my Azure stack and provision resources.  But for some reason aks and acr command come up as missing and nowhere on the web can I find a discussion about how to manually add aks and acr to the Azure CLI.  Lots of discussions about what to do with az aks once you have it installed, but nothing to address if it is missing.

Anybody have any thoughts on this.  I would like to manage my Kubernetes with this nicer interface.  I should mention that I went the route of installing my cluster with aks-engine.  So I would understand that this cluster might not be visible to Azure CLI.  But az aks includes commands to create new clusters, etc. which would presumably be able to be managed from Powershell.

Ready to tear my hair out (which with this quarantine is getting kind of long).

Mike

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 1:52 AM

All replies

• I am not sure if you can use these commands. Azure Stack's AKS management is done via the 'aks-engine' CLI cmdlet. Even if you force install the Azure cmdlets, they will not work with Azure Stack's AKS. 

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:18 AM
  • Hi — Okay. Thanks for the response. That’s fine. I used aks-engine to deploy the cluster and I’ve been using kubectl via an ash connection to one of the master nodes to manage the cluster. So it looks like I’m on the right track. One quick question though. I would love to be able to manage the cluster with kubectl running on my Windows 10 machine rather than having to ssh into the Linux machine. But the config file that was generat d on the Linux vm where I ran aka-engine has certification data that only allows connection from a handful of local ip addresses on the virtual net that was created in my aks resource group. When I try to use this on the windows machine I get a cert error message telling me my ip is not allowed. What I would really like to do is somehow add the ips on the vpn where the master machine is publicly expose. Is there any way of adding additional up addresses to the very that was generated by aks-engine deploy? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Mike
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:22 PM
  • Unfortunately I am not very familiar with the AKS Engine. Your best bet will be to review the documentation here for a way to allow additional connection addresses. I was not able to find any information about this in my research. 
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:07 AM