Is there any way to test app compatibility with RT without having an RT device?

Question

• I recently released an app and the first version came up with a lot of crash reports, mainly on ARM systems so I released a new version and removed ARM compatibility because I have no way to test it.

Is there an online RT virtual machine or something similar that I can use to debug my software so I can release a working ARM package?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:17 PM

Answers

• There is no ARM emulator for Windows RT. You will need a Windows RT machine to see how your app runs on it.

In general, apps will run the same on Windows RT as on Windows 8. The main differences is that Windows RT systems are generally much lower spec than most Windows 8 systems, and often an app which has problems on Windows RT will also fail on low end Windows 8 systems.

You may be able to identify problem areas from the crash reports you are getting.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:25 PM
    Owner

All replies

• There is no ARM emulator for Windows RT. You will need a Windows RT machine to see how your app runs on it.

In general, apps will run the same on Windows RT as on Windows 8. The main differences is that Windows RT systems are generally much lower spec than most Windows 8 systems, and often an app which has problems on Windows RT will also fail on low end Windows 8 systems.

You may be able to identify problem areas from the crash reports you are getting.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:25 PM
    Owner
  • i was getting some "invalid symbol" errors occurring on ARM systems but i also know that some of my app features will not work on ARM so needed a way to tailor the software for ARM, but i guess i'll have to stick to only releasing it for x86/x64 instead.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:30 PM