SQLDUMPER.exe and error when sorting data RRS feed

• Question

• I have several tables I've loaded into powerpivot from SQL Server.  One table is 4 millon rows.  As soon as I attempt to sort the data a command window pops up (sqldumper.exe I guess) that says:

Unable to open file \\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\10\FlightRecorderCurrent.trc, 2

then the Gemini in-proc engine dr watsons.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• Solved it by uninstalling PowerPivot and delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services folder with all the subfolders (well, actually I renamed the old one just incase) and then reinstalled PowerPivot.

Haven't actually tried PowerPivot yet, but I do not get the errormessage anymore, so I'm being optimistic and just assume it'll work as a charm from now on.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hey Kyle,

Did you upload the dump to us? If so, can you look in the event viewer for the bucket ID?

thx
    ash

Program Manager, SQL Server Analysis Services
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hi Ash,

I'm pretty sure I did.  If you didn't get it I can try again.  It happened a couple of times.

Kyle

Friday, November 20, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Just recreated the issue and clicked the send report buttons.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:23 PM
  • hi Kyle, since forums do not have a method to upload dump, can you please file a connect bug (connect.microsoft.com) and upload the dump there. If the location of the dump is not know, the event viewer may give you the event id and location
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Actually I think we found this bug internally yesterday as well. Bug has been filed and currently being investigated.
    -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I encountered this error running the latest PowerPivot add-in for Excel on an environment running:

RTM Office/Excel 2010

RTM SQL Server 2008 R2 / Trial Version

Do these bits not work together?  Is there a work around?  Is the RTM of PowerPivot going to be released soon?

Thank you,

Robert

Robert
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:02 PM
  • +1, Robert

Same case here: RTM 2010 was working with Power Pivot and then when I did install SQL 2008 R2 Trial, it broke.

MSFT, Any Ideas?

Thanks

Mauricio

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:22 PM
  • What error messages are you seeing?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:25 PM
  •  

When I try to launch the PowerPivot Window I get the following message on a command prompt window "unable to open file \\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\As OLEDB\10\FligthRecorderCurrent.trc, error 2" The file is not on my system with a fresh installation of SQL 2008 R2 64-bit (trial) tahat I just did download...

Monday, May 3, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

Can you confirm the PowerPivot Version? You can find this information from the Settings button on the PowerPivot tab in Excel.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:57 PM
  • hello,

i'm facing the same problem with powerpivot for excel

apparently there no flightrecordercurrent.trc in this location

im using:

windows 7 , SQL Server 2008 R2 , Excel 2010 (beta) ... all x64

maybe an issue with sql server 2008 R2

thanks

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:30 PM
  • There was a bug in CTP3 version of the PowerPivot. It has been fixed and verified in RTM PowerPivot.

What version of PowerPivot were you guys using?

-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem with the FlightRecorderCurrent.trc file.

After a fresh install after a HD-crash I have installed Win7 Ultimate (64-bit) , MS SQL 2008 R2, Office 2010 and PowerPivot. I download PowerPivot 5 days ago, so it sould be latest version. The error occurs when I try to open the PowerPivot-window.

It might be becuase I installed MS SQL after installing PowerPivot, so I'll try reinstalling PowerPivot annd see how it goes....

Well, it didn't work.

But I should maybe add this error message:
    Unable to load the Gemini in-memory server. Reason: There was a COM-exception while loading.
    The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))

Any COM-settings I should take a closer look at?

• Edited by FRLarre Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:54 AM Follow up
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Solved it by uninstalling PowerPivot and delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services folder with all the subfolders (well, actually I renamed the old one just incase) and then reinstalled PowerPivot.

Haven't actually tried PowerPivot yet, but I do not get the errormessage anymore, so I'm being optimistic and just assume it'll work as a charm from now on.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Had the same issue, deleting the folder worked - thanks!
    Friday, May 14, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I was getting this error with PowerPivot  v.10.50.1747.0 and it went away after installing the RTM v.10.50.2500.0 without having to delete C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services folder.

BTW I have 46 bit SQL Express and 32 bit Office 2010 and installed the 32 bit PowerPivot. I was not sure if I should have installed the 64 bit version of PowerPivot, but the 32 bit version worked.... OK, just read the documentation and the PowerPoint version must match the Excel version installed, not the SQL version.

Brad Severtson

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:34 PM