Multiple Chart Type Display RRS feed

• Question

• As  shown below, I need to have multiple charts displayed in 1 report view. I don't mind how the data structure looks like as long as it will do the trick.

The structure looks like this:

id
    Week
    NotAvailableRMA
    NotAvailableAX
    P1RMA
    p1AX
    P1Norm
    MaxCapacityNorm

I appreciate any help! TIA.

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:31 AM

Answers

• Did you set the 2 stacked column charts on separate axes? Set one on the Primary axis and the other on the secondary axis. all series/values assigned to primary axis and set as stacked column chart type will appear in a single stacked column while those assigned to the secondary axis will appear in a second stacked column. 

I have verified this in my environment by setting 4 values as stacked column type. I set 2 of them to use the secondary vertical and horizontal axis. Running the report resulted in 2 separate stacked columns being displayed in the one chart.

In my case, my test data had a wide variation in magnitude. You can see that the 2 vertical axes are very different in magnitude as well. If your is close to the same, you can set both scales the same and even hide the secondary scales (both horizontal and vertical) so it looks as if all data was on the same axes.

Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others can more easily find the answers they seek.

• Edited by Tim Pacl Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jess Banaga Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:46 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you want to have 6 data elements displayed in a single chart with some displayed as bars and others as lines. Assuming you have set the default type of the chart to a column chart of some type, just click on the chart to open the Chart Data dialog. In the values section, click the down arrow next to the value (or values) you want a different chart type for. This opens a menu where you can change the chart type for that value series. Select a line chart type or whatever is desired. You can see below that one value is displayed as column while the other is line.

You should also note that a chart allows you to specify 2 different Y-axes and 2 X-axes as well.

Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others can more easily find the answers they seek.

• Edited by Tim Pacl Monday, January 28, 2013 10:00 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:55 PM
  • My problem is when I set it as stacked column, it seems that SSRS doesn't allow multiple stacked column in one category.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:09 AM
  • I reckon it's not possible to mix two types of chart into one....

Regards,

Zaim Raza.

• Proposed as answer by Zaim Raza Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Hi Jayvee,

From your description, you want to use column chart and stacked column chart in one chart new area, right? I am afraid this cannot be achieved in Reporting Services currently. There are many column chart type, however there is no a chart type like in your scenario. One workaround for you is added another chart area, and them display different chart in different chart area. The report looks like below.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Two separate stacked column per category group. Blue and ligh blue - one stacked column, the other one is red and light red. I tried but piled into one stacked column. I tried to add series but it complicates the display. Any workaround? I've seen third party tool - Chevron for SSRS that does the trick but why buy one if SSRS can.

• Edited by Jess Banaga Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Did you set the 2 stacked column charts on separate axes? Set one on the Primary axis and the other on the secondary axis. all series/values assigned to primary axis and set as stacked column chart type will appear in a single stacked column while those assigned to the secondary axis will appear in a second stacked column. 

I have verified this in my environment by setting 4 values as stacked column type. I set 2 of them to use the secondary vertical and horizontal axis. Running the report resulted in 2 separate stacked columns being displayed in the one chart.

In my case, my test data had a wide variation in magnitude. You can see that the 2 vertical axes are very different in magnitude as well. If your is close to the same, you can set both scales the same and even hide the secondary scales (both horizontal and vertical) so it looks as if all data was on the same axes.

• Edited by Tim Pacl Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jess Banaga Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Hi Jayvee,

as per your initial question you want two bars one with stack column and 2nd bar is normal bar which also dipicting in diagram as well as....

regards,

Zaim Raza.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:43 AM