"Windows could not complete the instalation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Question

• I continually get that error message whenever I boot in to the Windows Developer Preview for Windows 8 on my computer. I've installed the x86_64 version on my machine as I'm also able to run x86_64 Windows 7 and Ubuntu (as well as x86 Jolicloud). 
    My machine:
    Acer Aspire 5552
    AMD Phenom II X4 N970
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    500 GB HDD
    Trying to put Windows 8 on a 23GB logical partition
    When I boot in to Windows 8 it boots up till it gets to where it would normally start setup for first use and then flashes that error. My only option is to restart it. Any ideas why it's doing this? Do I need to increase the size of the partition? I assume I can't continue installation in safe mode (previous versions of Windows wouldn't let me) so I haven't tried that, I am able to access the recovery boot options menu though. I would appreciate any help you can give me!
    --
    @thewillweeks
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello thewillweeks,

Look at the KB article with the same error message but even though it was written for Windows 7 or Windows 2008 server, it should be the same issue.
    Article ID: 2466753 - “Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware” installation error on a Windows 7-based or a Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753
    Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I checked and my computer isn't configured to use RAID, it's set to AHCI. I tried switching it to IDE (even worse errors) and then back and I'm still getting the error. Any ideas? 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:58 AM
  • I solved my own problem, apparently the advertised 20GB's of space (or my 23GB's space) isn't enough, I bumped my partition up to 100GB's and the installation went flawlessly. 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:51 PM