How to schedule tasks over the life of a transaction (7 to 14 days) RRS feed

• Question

• User-250910258 posted

Hi guys.  So, I have a website that runs a kind-of auction.  I would like to schedule a number of tasks based on the following factors… any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1. Auction StartDate                    =       DateTime.Now (or some date in the future)
    2. Auction Duration                     =       x days (where “x” is either; 3, 5, 7, 10 or 14)
    3. Auction EndDate                     =       StartDate + Duration
    4. ClosingPeriod Duration           =       7 days (this is a fix number of days)
    5. ClosingPeriod StartDate          =       Auction EndDate
    6. Deal Status CheckDate            =       Auction EndDate – 2 days
    7. Total Transaction Period         =       Auction Duration + ClosingPeriod Duration (from the 1st   to  4th  task).

The Process is as follows:

TASKS:

First:                    START Auction

//Do something

Second:                Status CheckDate

//Do something

Third:                  END Auction (Note, auction close at 12 noon in ALL (6) timeZones across the U.S.)

//Do something

START ClosingPeriod

Forth:                   END ClosingPeriod

//Do something

My website is in ASP.NET Razor, so what are my options.  I assume I will need a dedicated server?  I am new to asp.net and programming (only 4-weeks) so please be as detailed as possible.  Thanks.

Rob

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

• User-760709272 posted

Given the nature of what you want and the fineness of the control you need, asp.net is not a suitable solution.  You should look to write a Windows Service to do this.  Services are outwith the scope of this forum but if you google for writing a task scheduling service in .net I'm sure you'll find a lot of examples.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:56 AM