Icecast/Shoutcast and Media Foundation RRS feed

• Question

• This is a follow up post to this question.  Andrew, if you're still out there, I could use some further clarification.

The previous post talked about how to get song title information from Shoutcast/Icecast streams as meta data on Windows 7.  I've got this working, and it was actually fairly easy.

However, when I try to run this same program under Windows 8, the application keeps giving me errors.  I'm getting "MF_E_BYTESTREAM_NOT_SEEKABLE" from the UrlMon and Net schemes and "NS_E_UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL" from the Http scheme.  It doesn't seem like a network stream was ever seekable, so I'm not sure why this is a deal-breaker now.  Is there some new trick to getting Shoutcast to work with Media Foundation?

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:55 AM

Answers

• To answer my own question: Yes, it is possible to continue using Media Foundation to play Shoutcast (including processing Song Titles) in Windows 8.

The 'trick' is to NOT use the Source Resolver.

I manually create an instance of the UrlMonSchemePlugin, then call BeginCreateObject on it.  This explicitly sends the Icy-Metadata request.  Then I determine the correct ByteStreamHandler myself, instantiate it, and call BeginCreateObject using the bytestream I got from the UrlMonSchemePlugin.

Otherwise, process as per usual.

There is one more problem I'm trying to solve here.  But that's a separate post.

• Marked as answer by LGS Thursday, May 4, 2017 11:38 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 11:38 PM