none
Design view does not work VS 2015 Community Update 2 or 3

Question

• I can't seem to get the Design View to work in visual studio when working on web site/app.  I have followed advice from this forum given for questions similar to mine but to no avail.

The problem:

Design and split view do not highlight when moused over like all the other options in the program, as if they are "not active."

When I do click on one of the options it will highlight the control but nothing else happens.

If I minimize VS and then maximize the designer window goes black.

Original Version: VS 2015 Community 2015 with update 3

Current Version: VS 2015 Community 2015 with update 2

Steps:

• Repair original version
    • uninstall original version
    • Run Microsoft Total Uninstaller
    • Reinstall original version
    • Same Issue

• Uninstall original version
    • Run Microsoft Total Uninstaller
    • Installed VS 2015 Community with update 2
    • Repair
    • Same Issue

I've also tried deleting the contents from c:/Users/..../VisualStudio 14.0 as suggested in a forum from this site.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Monday, March 6, 2017 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Sorry about that you are facing this issue.

Have you tried run VS in safe mode to check if this is caused by some add-inns?  Command line:  devenv /safemode

I'm not sure how you uninstalled VS in your side, but there is a tool for you, 

Visual Studio Uninstaller:

https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller   

Which could uninstall visual studio completely (please run it a couple times) and then you could try to install it again.

I really hope it could be helpful. Good luck.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Hi R_R_A,

What about this issue?

>>Design and split view do not highlight when moused over like all the other options in the program, as if they are "not active."

Could you share a screen shot about it if it was not resolved?

Just right click the file, and open it with other editor, how about the result? Change it back to your previous one again, how about the result?

Please make sure that your VS has updated to the latest version:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt752379.aspx

If you get any latest information, please feel free to share it here.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:57 AM