none
CSS Complient Browsers RRS feed

• Question

• I have EW4 with sp2. In the new style drop down menu under 'box', a note tells me "requires a CSS  compliant browser to view" where the box graphic should be (at least on some versions). I have 5 browsers all updated, with Firefox as default. I've tried them all.  I'm just wondering what I am missing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. T. Geving
    Tom Geving
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• CSS 3 browsers are IE 9+, Opera 10 +, current versions of Firefox, Chrome & Safari. Note that not all browsers support CSS 3  completely or in the same manner so you must test. Some things should be viewed as enhancements and are not essential like older browsers getting square corners and no drop shadows vs elements that don't appear at all.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:08 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The note is appearing because, well, exactly as it says, some of the styles (the ones with asterisks)  in the EW4 box style menu require browsers who understand CSS3.  Not all do.  It's telling you that not all your visitors will see the effects you are trying to create using CSS3 options.  (It has nothing to do with the browsers you have installed, other than some might not show the effects, either.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, October 10, 2011 8:53 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:50 PM
  • No, there is only one version of Expression Web. The other options are for the Expression package--just like Word in Office Home and Business is the same as Word in Office Professional. It's just the packaging of different applications that changes the name (and the price).
    The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:09 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I don't understand what you are saying.  What do you mean you don't get the "CSS Box Model Reference"?  And what do you mean by "that little box showing the improvements"?  We have no reference for those statements.  EW4 is EW4.  There is no difference between pro and ultimate - the difference is in what other programs are included with it.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Monday, October 10, 2011 10:28 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:28 PM
  • I'll try again. In the 'apply styles' panel of EW 4 under the 'new style' drop-down menu, when I click 'box', an asterisk appears with a note telling me "requires a CSS 3 compliant browser to view". This note appears where the box graphic should be in the 'new style' menu (at least it appears in Morton Rand-Hendriksen's DVD tutorial). This is for applying padding, margins, borders etc. I'm guess my question is why is this note appearing, and what browser are they talking about? Or, what am I missing? Hope this helps, T Geving

If by "box graphic" you mean the preview, it's there. However, until you actually assign visible, non-CSS3 attributes, all you'll see is black text on a white background. Have you tried assigning a background color, border, etc.? The preview shows a rough view of how the style appears. What it won't display however, are CSS3-only attributes, such as rounded corners and box-shadows (at least it doesn't on mine).

I'm not sure what Morten is showing, as my Google search didn't turn that up on the first several pages, but if it shows background, border, etc. it would be because he assigned those. Oh, and also be aware that EW may let you define rounded corners and other CSS3 goodness, but it doesn't recognize vendor-specific prefixes.

Jim

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.” - Dr. Seuss
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:20 AM
  • I'd like to thank both Cheryl and Kathy for clearing up my question about the 'note'. But I still wonder why I don't get the "CSS Box Model Reference" in the styles menu--that little box showing the improvements as they are made. Methinks that what I am 'Missing' is EW4 Ultimate. I have the pro version and perhaps that feature doesn't exist in it. Regards, T. Geving

Tom, you may want to mark the answers that help you as answer. That will help others find the responses when they look at the thread for similar questions.
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

• Please rephrase your question, and if it's about a page you are trying to view, post a link to it.

As it is, it's not clear what you are asking, other than it relates to some CSS that requires a CSS3 compliant browser to view (and even there, I'm having to assume the "3" was missing in your post :) ).

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Thanks for your response. You were right, I left out the 3.

I'll try again. In the 'apply styles' panel of EW 4 under the 'new style' drop-down menu, when I click 'box', an asterisk appears with a note telling me "requires a CSS 3 compliant browser to view". This note appears where the box graphic should be in the 'new style' menu (at least it appears in Morton Rand-Hendriksen's DVD tutorial). This is for applying padding, margins, borders etc. I'm guess my question is why is this note appearing, and what browser are they talking about? Or, what am I missing? Hope this helps, T Geving

Tom Geving
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:34 PM
  • CSS 3 browsers are IE 9+, Opera 10 +, current versions of Firefox, Chrome & Safari. Note that not all browsers support CSS 3  completely or in the same manner so you must test. Some things should be viewed as enhancements and are not essential like older browsers getting square corners and no drop shadows vs elements that don't appear at all.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The note is appearing because, well, exactly as it says, some of the styles (the ones with asterisks)  in the EW4 box style menu require browsers who understand CSS3.  Not all do.  It's telling you that not all your visitors will see the effects you are trying to create using CSS3 options.  (It has nothing to do with the browsers you have installed, other than some might not show the effects, either.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, October 10, 2011 8:53 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I'd like to thank both Cheryl and Kathy for clearing up my question about the 'note'. But I still wonder why I don't get the "CSS Box Model Reference" in the styles menu--that little box showing the improvements as they are made. Methinks that what I am 'Missing' is EW4 Ultimate. I have the pro version and perhaps that feature doesn't exist in it. Regards, T. Geving

Tom Geving
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:02 PM
  • No, there is only one version of Expression Web. The other options are for the Expression package--just like Word in Office Home and Business is the same as Word in Office Professional. It's just the packaging of different applications that changes the name (and the price).
    The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I don't understand what you are saying.  What do you mean you don't get the "CSS Box Model Reference"?  And what do you mean by "that little box showing the improvements"?  We have no reference for those statements.  EW4 is EW4.  There is no difference between pro and ultimate - the difference is in what other programs are included with it.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Monday, October 10, 2011 10:28 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Thanks Bill and Kathy. It's nice to know I have the same version.

I did a google search on "CSS Box Model Reference" and found 4 pages on it. The first page has a picture of what I'm talking about. It's from M. Rand-Hendriksen's Book "Sam's Teach Yourself EW 3 in 24 hours. The next google page shows the same thing in EW4. I love the program and am not having any trouble with it. I was just baffled that his version shows up with that box model reference while mine only has the note about Css compliant browsers. And nobody else seems to know anything about it either. I also have a good sized screen shot of it (jpg), but I doubt I could send it to this forum.

Tom Geving
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:40 AM
  • EW3 isn't EW4.  If you are using a tutorial for EW3, don't be surprised if there are some differences in EW4. :)
    • Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:21 AM
  • I'll try again. In the 'apply styles' panel of EW 4 under the 'new style' drop-down menu, when I click 'box', an asterisk appears with a note telling me "requires a CSS 3 compliant browser to view". This note appears where the box graphic should be in the 'new style' menu (at least it appears in Morton Rand-Hendriksen's DVD tutorial). This is for applying padding, margins, borders etc. I'm guess my question is why is this note appearing, and what browser are they talking about? Or, what am I missing? Hope this helps, T Geving

If by "box graphic" you mean the preview, it's there. However, until you actually assign visible, non-CSS3 attributes, all you'll see is black text on a white background. Have you tried assigning a background color, border, etc.? The preview shows a rough view of how the style appears. What it won't display however, are CSS3-only attributes, such as rounded corners and box-shadows (at least it doesn't on mine).

I'm not sure what Morten is showing, as my Google search didn't turn that up on the first several pages, but if it shows background, border, etc. it would be because he assigned those. Oh, and also be aware that EW may let you define rounded corners and other CSS3 goodness, but it doesn't recognize vendor-specific prefixes.

Jim

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.” - Dr. Seuss
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:20 AM

Tom, you may want to mark the answers that help you as answer. That will help others find the responses when they look at the thread for similar questions.
    • Marked as answer by Tom Geving Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:27 PM
  • I am also having that problem...with EW4...it used to be there...I just noticed it's not there...I don't think this question ever got answered.

I looked how to set the Tools\Page Editor Options\Authoring to select "CSS3 draft", but that didn't help.  Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Sandy, what are you expecting to see in that screenshot? You have defined font size, margins and padding, and set it to no border and transparent background. There is nothing to see.

See my previous response, particularly this part (with emphasis added): "If by "box graphic" you mean the preview, it's there. However, until you actually assign visible, non-CSS3 attributes, all you'll see is black text on a white background. Have you tried assigning a background color, border, etc.? The preview shows a rough view of how the style appears. What it won't display however, are CSS3-only attributes, such as rounded corners and box-shadows (at least it doesn't on mine)." 

In your example, try adding a border, or use the arrow to increase the margin value one point at a time, and watch what the preview does.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Okay, I just dusted off EW3 to look. Now I see what the question is. This is what it showed:

EW3 style box

Now, the question is, why would you care? That is simply a static reference diagram that shows the box model. It doesn't change to reflect style edits. If you must have it, simply print out a copy of the diagram from any site that shows it, and keep it near your computer. I can only assume that MS correctly decided that it was a waste of space to include the diagram there and removed it in EW4. The current text just lets you know that all fields denoted by an asterisk are CSS3 and won't display in older browsers.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

• Proposed as answer by SandyKsK Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thank you Jim, I just wanted to be sure that I hadn't changed a setting...I thought it (the CSS box model reference) was there when I first started using EW4, but I couldn't remember when (or why) it wasn't there...maybe it never was...but if it's just taking up space, then yeah, I don't need that...just thought the message (*Requires a CSS 3...) was telling me something was wrong...that I didn't have a compliant browser...or something to that effect...thanks again...hate to waste time on little things, for sure, so I do greatly appreciate your time AND prompt reply! BIG TYVM! :))

Sandyksk

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:35 PM