none
copy custom ribbon from one database to another RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an Access 2016 database with a custom ribbon. How can I copy that ribbon into another database? Import/export, write to XML file, etc. Anything -- whatever's easiest.
    Friday, September 28, 2018 2:11 PM

Answers

• Well, if it just one ribbon?

What I do is simply open the UsysRibbons table, scroll/arrow down to the one ribbon you want to copy, and then simply tab into the field with the ribbon xml (the column is I fact named RibbonXml). Like always, when you tab into a column, all text is selected, and thus you simply hit ctrl-C (copy).

Now, open up the new database and simply open the UsysRibbons table, and add a new record. You have to “remember” the Ribbon name column (type in by hand), and then tab into the RibbomXML column and simply hit ctrl-v to paste in the xml.

If the application in question say had 10 ribbons, and the new application has “none”, then I would delete the USysRibbons table in the new application and import the USysRibbons table from the older application.

So you can by cut + paste move one ribbon. For a whole bunch, then just import the whole table.

The only other tip/issue is that you have to ensure that display of the “system” tables is turned on for either of the above suggestions, since the system tables are by default “hidden”. So right click on the top of the nav pane, and choose navigation options.  Now near left bottom, select the “show hidden objects” and the “show system objects”.

However, you "might" be asking about not a custom ribbon you built, but in fact a customized ribbon that you "modified" by right clicking on the ribbon, and then added some tabs + groups. Such customizations apply to "all" ribbons and applications you open. However, to copy to a different workstation/computer, then you can export these custom changes you made. Simply right click on ribbon, and choose customize, and then  you see a import/export option. You can export the custom changes to a file, move the file to the new computer, and then do the same, but now import the exported custom changes file.

So it not clear if this is custom ribbon built, and you wish to transfer to a new/different database. If so, then first suggestion will work.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Saturday, September 29, 2018 1:00 AM

All replies

• Well, if it just one ribbon?

What I do is simply open the UsysRibbons table, scroll/arrow down to the one ribbon you want to copy, and then simply tab into the field with the ribbon xml (the column is I fact named RibbonXml). Like always, when you tab into a column, all text is selected, and thus you simply hit ctrl-C (copy).

Now, open up the new database and simply open the UsysRibbons table, and add a new record. You have to “remember” the Ribbon name column (type in by hand), and then tab into the RibbomXML column and simply hit ctrl-v to paste in the xml.

If the application in question say had 10 ribbons, and the new application has “none”, then I would delete the USysRibbons table in the new application and import the USysRibbons table from the older application.

So you can by cut + paste move one ribbon. For a whole bunch, then just import the whole table.

The only other tip/issue is that you have to ensure that display of the “system” tables is turned on for either of the above suggestions, since the system tables are by default “hidden”. So right click on the top of the nav pane, and choose navigation options.  Now near left bottom, select the “show hidden objects” and the “show system objects”.

However, you "might" be asking about not a custom ribbon you built, but in fact a customized ribbon that you "modified" by right clicking on the ribbon, and then added some tabs + groups. Such customizations apply to "all" ribbons and applications you open. However, to copy to a different workstation/computer, then you can export these custom changes you made. Simply right click on ribbon, and choose customize, and then  you see a import/export option. You can export the custom changes to a file, move the file to the new computer, and then do the same, but now import the exported custom changes file.

So it not clear if this is custom ribbon built, and you wish to transfer to a new/different database. If so, then first suggestion will work.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Saturday, September 29, 2018 1:00 AM
  • It was saved in the hidden system table USysRibbons. After exporting that from the original database to the new database, the new database behaved like the original one. Thanks.

Saturday, September 29, 2018 11:56 AM