Etron USB 3.0 wrong driver / can't safely remove drives [fix]

General discussion

• I was having issues where once you've safely removed a drive, Windows thinks it's still connected and if you plug it in on the same port it won't work, on a different port it will work but then won't let you safely remove it (it's greyed out in the menu).

Turns out the developer preview installed the wrong drivers for my Etron USB 3.0 chip.  I thought it was odd that it had drivers for it (Win 7 does not) but I figured it was a perk of a newer OS.  The driver installed under device manager said eXtensible Host Controller but also said USB 1.0 and the driver date was from 2006.  Trying to use the driver installer setup.exe did not work and only broke the USB ports until a restart upon which Windows went back to the old driver.  If you manually install the driver, however (I will choose, have disk, etc..) everything works great.

For reference I'm using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard.  Just thought I would post in case anyone else's USB ports are behaving strangely - these Etron USB controllers seem to be getting more popular.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hey Poisonsnak,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Hi poisonsnak,

Windows 8 includes integrated support for USB 3.0.   http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/22/building-robust-usb-3-0-support.aspx

Based on your description, the correct drivers were loaded after install.  The driver date displayed in device manager actually comes from a different part of the driver install, and doesn't actually reflect the date of the individual driver or drivers that are installed for the device.  That piece of information still shows 2006 (for many components, not just USB). 

As for your feedback on the 1.0 part of the name, we'll look at clarifying that in the future.  It wasn't intended to be a reference to USB 1.0, but rather XHCI 1.0.  XHCI is the industry standard for USB 3.0 host controllers.

As far as your safe removal thing, are you saying that it works properly with the Etron drivers installed but not with the Microsoft drivers installed?  Please clarify that when you submit the feedback Steven mentioned.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Steven - Thanks for the link, I just registered and will send the feedback when I get home.

Mark - Thanks for the info, that blog post is really informative.  I kind of thought something was funny since it was operating at speeds above USB 2.0 and the driver said XHCI, I guess the date made me think it was an old driver, but you're right a lot of core drivers for vista/7/8 show that date.  Looking at it again I think calling it XHCI 1.0 makes sense but maybe it would be beneficial to have USB 3.0 in there somewhere as well.

On the safe removal thing you've got it right - it works well on the Etron drivers but not the Microsoft drivers.  On the Microsoft drivers it's exactly as described above - when you click safely remove it stops the device (you get the yellow exclamation mark in device manager) but once removed the system thinks the device is still attached (and still stopped).  Reconnecting it on the same port gets no response from the system and if you reconnect it on a different port the drive works but you can't safely remove it - the option is greyed out.  I'll be sure to provide all this info when I submit the feedback tonight.

Thanks both of you for the quick helpful replies

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:18 PM