Can't access product keys or manage my subscription RRS feed

• Question

•  

couldn't get Product keys all weekend, then worked some today, and now site is broken with different error for product keys and "manage my subscription"

An Error Has Occurred

There was an unexpected error while retrieving your benefit data and we cannot process your request.

You can try to:
    Reference Id: DCB9D1DF

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:13 AM

Answers

• Thanks for everyone's patience on this latest round of issues with accessing Product Keys and Subscriber Downloads for MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions.

Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 9/12/07) around 3PM PST the root cause was finally identified and a fix implemented. It was an obscure issue to identify and was not impacting all users. There is still some related work for Microsoft to do to make sure a similar situation does not occur again, but a fix has been implemented and the site functionality should be restored for all users.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:55 PM

All replies

•  

The Product Key system issues appeared to have been resolved earlier today.

There have been, and continue to be other intermittent Subscriber Downloads issues througout the day and into this evening. The Ops and Dev Teams have been troubleshooting them throughout the day and are actively engaged to resolve them even now.     

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's patience on this latest round of issues with accessing Product Keys and Subscriber Downloads for MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions.

Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 9/12/07) around 3PM PST the root cause was finally identified and a fix implemented. It was an obscure issue to identify and was not impacting all users. There is still some related work for Microsoft to do to make sure a similar situation does not occur again, but a fix has been implemented and the site functionality should be restored for all users.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:55 PM
  •  JHCairn (MSFT) wrote:

Thanks for everyone's patience on this latest round of issues with accessing Product Keys and Subscriber Downloads for MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions.

Bah.   I don't even get a "there's a problem with Technet" page anymore. I get the "Page you're looking for can't be found, here are some suggestions", as if the page isn't there.  I'll log out, clear cookies and log back in.

Killer part is, I just renewed my subscription and need stuff this weekend for labs.  Go figure.  :rolleyes:

Saturday, September 15, 2007 5:15 PM
  • There is alot of confusion in renewing my Technet+ subscription. My onsite admin, keeps puuting in for the subscription, yet only TechNet comes up (no Plus!). Please can you help us (him) on what he needs to do to renew my TechnetPlus??

Thursday, October 4, 2007 11:50 AM
  • I have changed the Subject on the reply since this is not related to the other access issues.

Since you are referencing your onsite admin, it sounds like your company is an SA or VL customer and your admin is using licensing.microsoft.com to set up subscription accounts. Is that true as far as you know?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I feel your pain.  I'm attempting to subscribe to Technet with the promo code and the subscription area will either 1) not recognize the promo code or 2) it's just ignoring it!

Hopefully they'll let me in soon!

Rick

Friday, November 9, 2007 2:39 PM
  •  JHCairn (MSFT) wrote:

Thanks for everyone's patience on this latest round of issues with accessing Product Keys and Subscriber Downloads for MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions.

Dear Julie,

At this moment (November 9th 2007) I am still not able to access my product keys and subscriber downloads. Will this issue be resolved any time in the near future? I am in dire need of my subscription benefits. I am connecting through an AT&T DSL line.

Thank you in advance,

E. Luten

Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:45 AM
  •  

It's down for me.  This is the second weekend in the past couple months.  This is really bad for a company like MS.

Sure would be nice to be able to access. 

Thanks,

-D

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:11 AM
  • The weekend downtime was necessary (and announced) for several system updates as well as patch deployment.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Why can't i accces my product keys? i have a project to do and i need them to get on the microsoft office power point by tomorrow.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Lindsay:

There do not appear to be any system outages at this time, and I am able to access downloads and product keys without issue. There was an outage Friday night/saturday morning for some security update deployments, but it doesn't look like they correspond with the timing of your post.

Just in case, please try again to access. You did not specify whether you are a TechNet or MSDN Subscriber.

If you are still unable to access, use one the contact numbers from: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx for MSDN, or http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx for TechNet (based on your location) to get personal assistance with troubleshooting your access.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:20 PM
  • I am having the same problem now (March 1, 2008). Using WinXP SP2 with IE7, I am currently on all updates.  I have tried deleting out my temporary internet files and cookies and restarting IE, and everytime I get the same error when I try to manage my technet plus subscription, or access product downloads/keys, or any other of the subscriber benefits.  I would have tried asking the technet plus concierge, but that is also unavailable (same error).

An Error Has Occurred

There was an unexpected error while retrieving your benefit data and we cannot process your request.

You can try to:

Reference Id: A83ACA9D

Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:12 AM
  • As of 0809 hrs, 03/01/2008, this is what I get under Firefox 2.0.0.12 (and IE 7.0.6001.18000) when clicking on "TechNet Direct Downloads and Product Keys" from the "My TechNet Subscription Subscription Benefits" box in the upper-right corner of the TechNet home page (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx) and then logging in:

"An Error Has Occurred

We were unable to properly transfer you to the benefit you requested.

You can try to:

Reference Id: 00C1A9C5

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support."

This has been going on for about a week now.  Prior to today, I could get to these downloads via the "Manage My Subscription" link in that same box.  But, now, all I get is the same error page noted by timlang, above (the Reference ID changes, of course).  I'm running Vista Ultimate (x64) SP1 (RTM -- pushed to me via Microsoft Update).  I don't know if it's related, but this problem started right after letting Microsoft Update install the Silverlight add-on.

Dave Lessnau

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I have the some problem today!

Use Vista with SP1 and IE but not Silverlight...

I wish that MS could somewere on their website INFORM that the service is down...

In desperate need of OS and keys for labs this weekend...

Pls inform us If the service is down and when you expect it will be up and running again! This is the least I can expect as a paying MSDN member...

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:46 PM
  • I just hope that someone has realized it is a problem.  I don't know when this started (sometime last night-i guess, I noticed it at about 12:30 AM CST when I tried to go get some keys for OS install).  I don't know what thier tech level is on the weekend.

It would be nice to see a notice abuot it so at least we would know they were doing something.. might try the # for incidents and see if I can get it in that I am unable to access paid services.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Having the same problem on two different machines.

One is Vista x64 (without SP1) and one is Vista x86 w/SP1.

This has been going on for at least a week now. However, I have been able to get to downloads once via Manage My Subscriptions link on both machines yesterday and the night before.

I also cannot get to Support Incidents Managed Newsgroups, or Online Concierge Chat.

An Error Has Occurred

You can try to:
    Reference Id: 0093B5DF

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:41 PM
  •  

I'm having similar problems. Worse yet, I can't quite figure out how to contact Microsoft for support about it.

If I follow the "contact us" links, I get to a page where I can search a knowledge base. Searching there for the "We were unable to properly transfer you to the benefit you requested" error results in an HTTP 500 error.

Each time I try to access my keys or a download, I get a different error code:

Reference Id: E22A05CF
    Reference Id: 9677A7FC
    Reference Id: 28E2027F

Has anyone found a way to get Microsoft's attention?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:54 PM
  •  

re: "There do not appear to be any system outages at this time, and I am able to access downloads and product keys without issue".

You may have access, but it appears that many of the rest of us do not.  I'm in the middle of rebuilding a machine and need access to my keys to install software.  Error messages like the one below are unhelpful.  Especially when they pop up as a result of trying to access support/help.  The "outage" started last night (3/1) and is still ongoing as of today (3/2).

I have a MSDN Universal subscription.

An Error Has Occurred

We were unable to properly transfer you to the benefit you requested.

You can try to:
    Reference Id: 9C8F4824

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

Hm, I get the same error at both MSDN and Technet ... At least I'm not the only one ...

I only wish there were some notification of what's going on???

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:35 PM
  • and now, I'M not the only one.....

at least now i don't feel like i was being singled out...

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Sounds like a leap year problem with subscriptions.  Mine expired on Feb 29th, and today, I can't access anything.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I've been getting the same problem for the last day.  I've got my 2 test PCs sitting half way through the windows installer.... I was meant to be working all weekend.

You do things the right way and pay MS $$$$ for proper dev licenses for your test boxes.  Then when you need them, there is no one home.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad too see that others have been having the same problem.

I have been trying access the Subscription downloads for about 3 days now and keep getting the same error as everyone else. I first started experinecing this problem the same day they posted SP1 for Vista.

I saw where they were going to be changing the site to better help us with our downloads, but it is like MS to have implenation problems . Does anyone know why or when the site will be back up so we can access it?

Sunday, March 2, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Having same problem today March 1 2008. Started new thread as this one is months old, although I see that many of us are having the problem now and posting replies to this thread

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:11 AM
  •  

Hi Julie,

The phone numbers are of no use after the close of business on Friday until Monday morning.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:19 AM
  • After reading all of the posts in this thread carefully, I noticed Julies November 15th reply about the servers being down over that previous weekend. This leads me to think that this weekend is the time that MS is going to completely change the site format as was announced this past week. I just do not remember them stating that there would be any associated downtime. I cannot find any reference to it on the TechNet home page, but I did read about the change which will change the tree structure and allow non-plus members to "see" the plus downloads.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:28 AM
  •  

Hello everyone:

Sorry I have been offline for a few days. It seems things have blown up in that time. We have NOT yet launched the new downloads experience, and there is currently not any scheduled maintenance going on.

I just tried to log in to my Subscription as well and am experiencing the same unavailability that you all are. I have tried MSDN, but not TechNet yet. I will try it next, but I expect to see similar behaviour. I saw an "unscheduled downtime notice for product keys" internally in mail, but nothing else. I will ping support on both of these and see what I can find out about the status and ETA. We did have a few production problems earlier in the week that required some hotfixes, but from what I can see the current errors do not appear to be related.

If you are able to sign in with your Windows Live ID and seeing this type of error, try navigating to the Subscriptions Management page by clicking the "manage my subscription" link in the horizontal bar at the top or from the box in the upper right hand corner. That can sometimes be useful in addressing an issue where users that have multiple Live IDs get cookies out of synch/conflicting and it results in this situation.  

In the meantime I'll see what I can find out from support and post when I see something back.

Thanks for the error reference ID's. I can look those up to assist in further troubleshooting.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:22 AM
  • So I just got off mail with support. Apparently there was a scheduled maintenance starting yesterday and going through the weekend - to complete work that was started in a downtimes several weeks back. This weekend's downtime was not well understood following on after downtimes last weekend and several weeks before that.

I was just able to access downloads and keys for MSDN and TechNet a few minutes ago. I am told there still might be some intermittent flakiness between now and tomorrow at 5PM (PST).

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Can I suggest that next time there is scheduled outage, that a message is posted somewhere visible?  I can only imagine the hundreds of cumulative hours which have been wasted by MSDN subscribers around the world due to the generic error message provided.  Most companies notify users of long schedualed outages (i.e. more than a coule of hours) in advanced.

It shouldn't take scores of posts to this forum to get an answer 24 hours later.

Can we please be treated as valued customers?

Phil
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:28 AM
  • I saw where you said this was supposed to be fixed, but I just tried to get into the downloads from TechNet and this is what I get:

An Error Has Occurred

We were unable to locate the benefit that you were trying to claim in your benefit list.

You can try to:
    Reference Id: 434708CF

This is the same thing I have been getting since Thursday, 2/28/2008.

We pay Microsoft for this service they should at least let us know when it is going to be down, why it is down, and when it is going to be back up.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:08 AM
  • Just tried to access the subcription downloads site again and received the following error:

An Error Has Occurred

We were unable to locate the benefit that you were trying to claim in your benefit list.

You can try to:

Reference Id: DAEF7E40

Does anyone know when this is going to be fixed?

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  JHCairn (MSFT) wrote:

I was just able to access downloads and keys for MSDN and TechNet a few minutes ago. I am told there still might be some intermittent flakiness between now and tomorrow at 5PM (PST).

Hm, I have had NO access, not even flaky access, since Thursday afternoon. Neither Technet nor MSDN. Over seventy hours of downtime. I'm really struggling with the assertion this is only scheduled maintenance.

The customer service phone line is probably going to be busy Monday morning ...

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:08 AM
  •  pza wrote:
    Can I suggest that next time there is scheduled outage, that a message is posted somewhere visible?  I can only imagine the hundreds of cumulative hours which have been wasted by MSDN subscribers around the world due to the generic error message provided.  Most companies notify users of long schedualed outages (i.e. more than a coule of hours) in advanced.

It shouldn't take scores of posts to this forum to get an answer 24 hours later.

Can we please be treated as valued customers?

Phil

I agree 100% with Phil. If there were a post on the log in page announcing the downtime, it would save subscribers a lot of time and aggravation, and it would save the MS team members lots of work. Just a simple notification on the log-in page. Of course an email in advance would be a nice gesture.

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:46 AM
  • hi,

I have access since yersterday am.
    after sign in I use the link "manage my subscription"
    Monday, March 3, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Wow.  This thread has been filling up my blackberry since Thursday or so.  Heya, Julie!  Long time no see, luckily!

My error:

An Error Has Occurred

You can try to:
    Read the Subscriptions FAQ
    Contact Support
    Read the On-Line Self Help

Reference Id: 388F7A7C

It doesn't look like anyone's getting much of the same Reference ID, does it?

What's strange, is when I bounce back out to the main page, I can get in.  It's like the link from the main page is broken, but once I'm in and moving around it works.  I just tested a small download (Office Communicator Web Access) and it works fine.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 1:27 PM
  • actions:

• sign completely out of Live
    • restart browser session (IE7 on XPSP2 running on Parallels)
    • go to technet.microsoft.com
    • sign in
    • from the main page, click on the regular "Manage subscription and keys" link
    • it works.
    that didn't work five minutes ago.  Perhaps I had to basically clear my key, as in sign completely out of Live Services, then back in to get a new key?  My downloads are fine now.  I'm going to restart XP and see if this is a "repeatable event" .
    Monday, March 3, 2008 1:33 PM
  • I just called tech support, there is a temporary workaround.  The problem started with an upgrade to Windows Live which caused Live to lose the association with all MSDN accounts.

To fix it for now you can go to the msdn home page.  In the upper left corner click on “Not <yourname>”.  You want to make sure you are signed out.  Then click on “Sign In” and login to your Windows Live account.

Next in the middle right hand side you should see a section “First Time User”.  Under that click on “Associate your subscription with your Windows Live ID”

You must fill out the next page exactly as you did when you first registered your MSDN account.

I was warned by the tech support person that this may lose its associating again as they try to fix the underlying problem.

Hope this helps, Mike

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:14 PM
  •  

Hi all. Check out http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2943434&SiteID=17&mode=1 

for an updated on this issue.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:20 AM