Http Client Sample will not load, hangs VS

Question

• Hi.

I downloaded this sample (JavaScript), unzipped it and when I try to load the project in VS 2013 it hangs and VS will become unresponsive. It seems to hang when trying to load the "Filter" part of the project.

Yes, I am running Win8.1. Yes, I have VS 2013 (ultimate). Yes, I have internet connection, though I can't even get it load far enough to even try to run it. No, I am not using any kind of source control software, like source safe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Christine

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Christine,

Are you working with this sample? http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/HttpClient-sample-55700664

It works fine with my environment for this link. If you are using the older version of sample you would see the folder name contains with comma, which is not acceptable by the VS, if your folder contains comma, please rename the folder.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Hi James.

Yes, that is the one that I downloaded. Just to be sure though, using your link I re-downloaded it. I am still getting the same problem. There is not a comma in any of the folder names.

Regards,

Christine

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Hi Christine,

Ok, the project itself should be fine, the only problem might be your Visual Studio, I would like suggest you to open the project in the Safe Mode to disable some plugins to see if the same thing happens. I also wondering if you create a new C++ project, would the Visual Studio crashes or not.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue, report this to Connect Site for a further analysis is also a solution.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:32 AM
  • I have the same issue creating a C++ project. What would cause that and what would be the fix? C++ isn't a language I would normally use, but really need to see/use this sample Http Client Sample project.

Christine

Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:28 PM
  • Hi Christine,

Sorry I don't think I'm professional on VS issue, I can only provide some general guidelines for instance: use Safe Mode or Fix Visual Studio. But I don't think it may help you.

For this reason, I suggest you report to Connect to see what the experts there tell you. https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 06, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Just as an FYI for those reading this thread after the fact, you cannot use SAFEMODE to open this project if it doesn't open the normal way. You won't be able to create a blank C++ project either. That should clue you in on things. Apparently there is a known bug/issue with an update that is causing this problem. About the only "solution", and I use that term loosely, I've seen is to uninstall VS completely and reinstall it. Right now for me, that isn't an option being in the middle of several projects with a deadlines. I don't have 1/2-1 day to reinstall my environment. Then again, I haven't made it around my httpclient issue and maybe being able to see this project might solve it. Catch 22.

Cheers!

Christine

Monday, January 06, 2014 11:53 PM