none
Full vssettings all fields including default values

Question

• I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 and I would like to be able to change the IDE settings using a text editor in addition to the GUI provided by clicking "Options..." in the "TOOLS" menu, as it is sometimes a hassle when for example trying to set multiple settings to the same value (as there seems to be no functionality like find and replace or set as default), but CurrentSettings.vssetings and exported .vssettings files only include values that differ from defaults, at least in the FontsAndColors section, which is what I'm currently trying to edit (I would like to set all or most fonts to be a a certain font face and size that are different than the defaults).

Answers to any of the following questions would be helpful.

Is there a reference .vssettings file with all the default values available in the Visual Studio installation or online?

Is there a way to export a full .vssettings file including default values?

Is there anything like find and replace functionality for visual studio settings (that includes in the find results settings that have not been changed from the default)?

Is there a way to specify a default font face and size either in the GUI or by manually editing a .vssettings file?

Is there a list of all the GUIDs used in the FontsAndColors section?

Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi K Inscore,

>>Is there a reference .vssettings file with all the default values available in the Visual Studio installation or online?

>>Is there a way to export a full .vssettings file including default values?

Actually the VS has the default settings file, actually if you open the VS IDE for the first time, you would get a option to select the default settings file you want to, like the following screen shot, different languages have different default settings file. So you would select the one you really want to use. For example, I often use the C# one.

So if you want to use certain default setting files, you could reset the VS settings in your VS IDE.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

>>

Is there anything like find and replace functionality for visual studio settings (that includes in the find results settings that have not been changed from the default)?

Is there a way to specify a default font face and size either in the GUI or by manually editing a .vssettings file?

Is there a list of all the GUIDs used in the FontsAndColors section?

>>

Actually one idea is that you could change one option in the VS IDE, and then save it to a new custom settings file, and then open it using the notepad, search the value you changed for the first time, so if you want to change it again, you don't have to change it using the VS IDE.

In addition, you know that one thread for one issue, for different issues, it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:20 AM