Running a new C++ Metro app fails

Question

• First shot fired and it fails.  When I create a new C++ Metro style app using the "Application" template, I compile it, run it and receive the following error on a dialog box:

Unable to activate Windows Tailored application

'0123fs---a GUID HERE---1234!App

Access is denied.

in Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview.  Is this a known issue?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:14 AM

Answers

• And unable to reproduce.  Closing.
    • Marked as answer by ljestrada Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• OK, replying to my own post.  There seems to be a problem with the default manifest--it only marks Internet (Client) capability.  Weird. 
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:23 AM
  • ...and when compiling in Release mode, the problem does not occur.  Seems to be related to another thread posted a little bit before this one.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:28 AM
  • While this may have resolved your problem, a very similar error is thrown if you are running on a low resolution (like 800x600).
    http://blog.voidnish.com
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:10 PM
  • There is no problem with the default manifest.  That is desired.  What capability did you check that got it to work?  Your initial post seems to indicate that you have a blank application, but clearly you have more code.  Post more information and we can help nail it down.

However, the default manifest is NOT meant to have everything checked.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:36 AM
  • @Tim,

No other code.  What I was doing was just creating a blank application to get familiar with the default plumbing for an empty app, then compiled.  Did not mark anything else, did not modify the original code.  I'm looking for the machine I did this on--have several VM's and a couple of laptops running the dev preview--and repost the issue.

Thx.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:47 PM
  • And unable to reproduce.  Closing.
    • Marked as answer by ljestrada Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • @ljestrada

If you were tinkering with the RPEnabled registry key (not advised), setting it to 0 will cause this same error.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Well, the real issue was that I was using the Windows Developer Preview with Apps (but no Tools) and the VS 11 Ultimate that I downloaded form MSDN.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:36 PM