User Name and Password after installation

Question

• I was installing the windows 8 preview and then tried to change the country. then suddenly a logon screen appeared which requested me to give a user name and password?! What can i do? I can't even do a clean install..
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hello Socorsan,

You might try to download the ISO as it may be corrupt.  Windows 7 included native support for burning ISO files to CD or DVD.
    On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

Then I would reinstall with the new burned file and see if you get the correct option.

Marilyn

Thank you for your suggestion, Marilyn, but I just repeated the installation process - this time, opting for the express setup -, and everything worked as it should.

I used the same pendrive with the same ISO as the first install. It did seem to me as it is a kind of bug in the setup process, like many others are reporting under the same circumstances.

Now I'm having some fun with Windows 8 - nice to work with it on my laptop, but it does seem to be ideal for tablets! 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:21 AM

All replies

• I was installing the windows 8 preview and then tried to change the country. then suddenly a logon screen appeared which requested me to give a user name and password?! What can i do? I can't even do a clean install..
    At some part during the installation it will ask you to sign in or set a username. Did you already get past that part?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:08 PM
  • No, it didn't even come to that. Just accepted, that microsoft receives data from my computer and then there was a screen, where i could select which country i'm from. when i tried to change from U.S. to a different country, i was immediately brought to the logon screen, but i haven't yet created a username

EDIT: Is there a way to do a fresh install if i can't even log in? Booting from Disc doesn't work :S

• Edited by sousa84 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hey Sousa84,

Please provide these bits of information in your next reply so that we can better assist you:

1. What happens when you try to boot from the installation disk?
    2. Do you receive any prompts or error message? (When booting from your installation disk)
    3. Did you choose to install Windows Developer Preview as an Upgrade or Custom install?
    4. What is the exact prompt that you are receiving when the current installation is prompting you for a username and password?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:35 PM
    This is exactly what has happened to me. I've searched the internet for an answer,  but none was found. I'll try to reintall it, and go with the express config till I can logon. I'd like to know the solution for this problem, anyway...
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Hey Sousa84,

Please provide these bits of information in your next reply so that we can better assist you:

1. What happens when you try to boot from the installation disk?
    2. Do you receive any prompts or error message? (When booting from your installation disk)
    3. Did you choose to install Windows Developer Preview as an Upgrade or Custom install?
    4. What is the exact prompt that you are receiving when the current installation is prompting you for a username and password?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven

Since I share the same problem, it might be useful to answer these questions, too.

1. I'll try it now (8Gb Kingston USB disk; FAT32; only contents are the files copied from the virtual disk , which was created with MagicISO from the official 64bit version - without SDK extra stuff);
    2. No errors, except the weird jump from "country selection" to "pretty screen with time", which can be slided up to reveal the logon screen. Rebooting gets me to this last screen over and overm a no kind of login is sucessful.
    3. I did a Custom install (directly from "source" folder) using my pendrive (see item 1) on my notebook (MSi CR420, dual boot with it's original Win7 Home); wi-fi recognized and (apparently) working.
    4. I get a logon screen with generic user imagem placeholder, named "Other User", and the commom fields to write my username and password. I've tried several true IDs, including my MSDN through Live Login, and a couple combinations I work with, but I always get the "incorrect username / password" message, even if it seems to be accepted / processed. I've tried using passwords containing alphanumeric chars, mixing Capital letters and symbols like "!" too, with 8, 12 and 16  chars of legth, even never repeating chars, but none worked.

I hope this helps a little!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Hello Socorsan,

You might try to download the ISO as it may be corrupt.  Windows 7 included native support for burning ISO files to CD or DVD.
    On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner

Then I would reinstall with the new burned file and see if you get the correct option.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Mine did the same when I tried to change the country.  Sounds to me like a new install and pretend I'm a yank until the customisations get fixed.....Bugger!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Hello Socorsan,

Marilyn

Thank you for your suggestion, Marilyn, but I just repeated the installation process - this time, opting for the express setup -, and everything worked as it should.

I used the same pendrive with the same ISO as the first install. It did seem to me as it is a kind of bug in the setup process, like many others are reporting under the same circumstances.

Now I'm having some fun with Windows 8 - nice to work with it on my laptop, but it does seem to be ideal for tablets! 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:21 AM