none
From where Bing Maps V8 gets the language and culture of the user to display maps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Bing Maps v8 web control in my javascript code. In the documentation I found this information : Since v8, The Bing Maps V8 Map Control automatically detects the users language and culture settings from their browser and uses this to localize the map control.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt712553.aspx

In the case of Internet Explorer where can I find my user language and culture. Is there any Windows configuration that can alter this like Windows language or Windows regional settings?

Currently I am localized in Switzerland with a laptop configured in English and I see map labels in French. I am wondering why.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:06 AM

Answers

• On that documentation page that you've shared there is also following statement in description for setLang parameter:

The map automatically detects and sets this value based on the users location and device settings.

So not only language settings are used but also your location, which would explain what you're seeing.
    If you scroll down documentation page there is also explanation why Bing Maps v8 map control uses three parameter for localization.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Bing Maps determines this information by using a bunch of signals, form the user IP address, location, browser info, and more. This is OS independent and unfortunately only a backend system (no API or service for using this without the Bing Maps V8 web control). 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:14 PM

All replies

• On that documentation page that you've shared there is also following statement in description for setLang parameter:

The map automatically detects and sets this value based on the users location and device settings.

So not only language settings are used but also your location, which would explain what you're seeing.
    If you scroll down documentation page there is also explanation why Bing Maps v8 map control uses three parameter for localization.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Bing Maps determines this information by using a bunch of signals, form the user IP address, location, browser info, and more. This is OS independent and unfortunately only a backend system (no API or service for using this without the Bing Maps V8 web control). 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:14 PM