none
I'm following a Visual Studio tutorial by Microsoft - it says Open ASP.NET Configuration -- BUT VS 2013 IS MISSING THE TOOL! now what? RRS feed

• Question

• I am following https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/879kf95c.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The walk through says "On the Website menu, click ASP.NET Configuration"

BUT Visual Studio 2013 Enterprise has NO SUCH TOOL - What now?

Thanks for help

Frederick - Austin, TX

Fred

Saturday, October 10, 2015 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Volking,

The "ASP.NET Configuration" option is removed since visual studio 2010, so if you still want to use it, I suggest you could consult your issue on the asp.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Volking,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I try to check it in the VS2013, I get the same issue as yours, it doesn’t have the option “ASP.NET Configuration”. This is because the option is no longer in Visual Studio 2013. But it is supported in Visual Studio 2008.

But we could take the following steps to run the ASP.Net Web Configuration Manager:
    Note that these instructions only work for sites running on the .NET Framework 4.0 and above.

1.Open the Command Prompt (not as administrator)
    2.Navigate to the folder where IIS Express is installed on your machine.
    3.In the command line spin up a IISExpress site with the following prompt: “iisexpress.exe /path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles /vpath:”/ASP.NETWebAdminFiles” /port:[port] /clr: 4.0 /ntlm” using the following values for the [param]:
    a.[port] – any port you have free in IISExpress (I use 8082 in the example below)
    4.This should launch an IISExpress instance of the Configuration Manager Site<br/>clip_image002
    5.Open your browser
    6.In the URL enter the following “http://localhost:8082/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=[appPath]&applicationUrl=/” substituting the [appPath] with the absolute path to the Visual Studio Project folder with the solution file in it.

Refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2013/08/19/asp-net-web-configuration-tool-missing-in-visual-studio-2013.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 12, 2015 2:55 AM
  • the instructions you reference do not work.
    I expended a Microsoft Technical Support Incident (valued at $499 for one incident)
    to discover the instructions don't work. I am  preparing a posting detailing the work-around the Tech Support Engineer took 4 days to deduce with a significant quantity of Microsoft  internal consultation. Sometime in the next few days I will post a "real" work-around that does work, somewhere on the web.
    Thank You
    Frederick, Austin Tx

Fred

Friday, October 16, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Hi Volking,

The "ASP.NET Configuration" option is removed since visual studio 2010, so if you still want to use it, I suggest you could consult your issue on the asp.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:29 AM