none
Removing installed dependencies once parent package is removed RRS feed

• Question

• So I added "DS->Packages->FeaturePack->Networking->Wireless Networking" in my Answer File and then upon validating my Asnwer File I was asked to installed a whole bunch of other packages as dependencies which I did.

Now after sometime I decided that I do not need Wireless Networking package so I removed it from my Answer File, however I noticed that the packages that were installed as dependencies were not automatically removed which is kind of annoying. Is there a way to remove packages that were purely installed because of dependency requirement? Does ICE has some sort of built-in mechanism to weed out these now unnecessary packages?

Thanks!

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately this is not an option in ICE. We realize that this is a real pain to deal with, and we're looking into how to fix this in future versions.

As a workaround, you can open a second instance of ICE, create a new answer file, delete Windows Embedded Edition from your answer file (so the dependencies from Embedded Edition don't come in), then add your desired package and resolve dependencies. The packages brought into your answer file are all of the original package's dependencies.

You could then go back to your original answer file and delete those packages. When you're deleting packages, be careful about deleting packages that you already set settings in, as any settings in packages you deleted will be erased. Finally, make sure to resolve dependencies after you've finished deleting all your packages so that dep res brings back any shared dependencies (when other packages besides Wireless Networking required one of the deleted packages).

Again, we realize this is a painful workaround. Having just typed this out, the situation is even uglier than I remembered :). We have a few options in development to reduce this pain in the future.

• Marked as answer by techgeek12345 Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:25 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately this is not an option in ICE. We realize that this is a real pain to deal with, and we're looking into how to fix this in future versions.

As a workaround, you can open a second instance of ICE, create a new answer file, delete Windows Embedded Edition from your answer file (so the dependencies from Embedded Edition don't come in), then add your desired package and resolve dependencies. The packages brought into your answer file are all of the original package's dependencies.

You could then go back to your original answer file and delete those packages. When you're deleting packages, be careful about deleting packages that you already set settings in, as any settings in packages you deleted will be erased. Finally, make sure to resolve dependencies after you've finished deleting all your packages so that dep res brings back any shared dependencies (when other packages besides Wireless Networking required one of the deleted packages).

Again, we realize this is a painful workaround. Having just typed this out, the situation is even uglier than I remembered :). We have a few options in development to reduce this pain in the future.

• Marked as answer by techgeek12345 Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:25 PM

Wow...that indeed is a kind of a really painful process/workaround. Do you have any ideas when the next update for WES7 will come in? Sometime back I also reported about the sandbox directories that were created automatically in C:\ drive:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebectools/thread/51797af3-01e8-4deb-8d85-ce9fed0ae0ac

What is the procedure to file bug/feature request for Windows Embedded Standard? Is there a central location or does it pretty much get picked up from these user forums by the MS people?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:15 PM