none
Vista x64 dotNet FW 2.0 SP1 works, SP2 doesn't RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application built with VS2008 that works OK on a new machine running Vista Ultimate x64, but fails on another new machine running Vista Home Premium x64.  The only difference I can find is that the Ultimate machine has the dotNet 2.0.50727.1434 (which I understand is equivalent to FW2.0 sp1) and the Home Premium machine has the dotNet 2.0.50727.3053 (which I understand is equivalent to FW 2.0 sp2).

My application runs as a plugin to an application compiled under FW 2.0, and was compiled on a different machine than either of these.  Both machines have dotNet FW 3.0.6920.1453

At this point, I am almost convinced that the problem is with FW2.0 SP2, and I'd like to get the Home Premium machine back down to SP1.

How can "downgrade" the Home Premium dotNet FW 2.0 to the earlier/lower version?

Thanks in advance,
    Geoff
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:52 PM

Answers

• Exception Code: c0000005 is Access Violation. Some code is trying to read/write the memory it doesn't suppose to.

Attaching a debugger to the process or analyze the dump file generated when the process crashes will very likely to find out the root cause. However, that is beyond the topic of .NET Framework Setup forum.

You may want to try the CLR forum for better support.

By the way, is the "uninstall updates" workaround working for you?

Regards,

Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Geoff,

The .NET Framework 2.0 is part of the Windows Vista OS. All updates including service packs are applied via the Windows Update.

To uninstall an update, you can open the Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates. From the list, you'll see installed updates to the .NET Framework. However, you may not see .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 if you got .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed (2.0 SP2 is included in 3.5 SP1).

I think rolling back to an earlier version is just a temp workaround, since Windows Update will keep pushing updates to the machine. And if you have Windows Vista SP2 installed (just published) later, the .NET Framework 2.0 will be updated to 2.0.50727.4016. It is not recommended to stop updating the system.

So I think we still need to find out the root cause of why your application is not working with NetFx 2.0 SP2.

When you say it fails, do you have any specific error information?

Thanks,

Jie
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:16 AM
  • No, no specific error information:
    Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: the program that my app is a "plugin to"
      Application Version: 11.1.183.0
      Application Timestamp: 49a43021
      Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll
      Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.3074
      Fault Module Timestamp: 48ead734
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 0000c88f
      OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033

Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Exception Code: c0000005 is Access Violation. Some code is trying to read/write the memory it doesn't suppose to.

Attaching a debugger to the process or analyze the dump file generated when the process crashes will very likely to find out the root cause. However, that is beyond the topic of .NET Framework Setup forum.

You may want to try the CLR forum for better support.

By the way, is the "uninstall updates" workaround working for you?

Regards,

Jie

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 10:06 AM
  • OK, I'll try there.

No, it won't let me uninstall any updates.  I'll look for Vista SP2.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:05 PM