none
Windows 10 - MS Access cannot stay in VBA window - system changes to main access window RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded two machines to Windows 10, one from Windows 7 and one from Windows 8.1. Now I cannot use the VB IDE in MS Access for any length of time. I go into the VB IDE and after a short time (seconds) the systems changes the window to the main MS Access window. This occurs on both machines with different database applications. To write code I have to reselect the VB IDE window and type furiously for a short period of time only for the system to change me back to the main Access window. As you can imagine this is frustrating and makes it almost in possible to develop.

Anyone got any suggestions or come across this? Thanks, Chris.

Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:31 PM

All replies

• I have just upgraded two machines to Windows 10, one from Windows 7 and one from Windows 8.1. Now I cannot use the VB IDE in MS Access for any length of time. I go into the VB IDE and after a short time (seconds) the systems changes the window to the main MS Access window. This occurs on both machines with different database applications. To write code I have to reselect the VB IDE window and type furiously for a short period of time only for the system to change me back to the main Access window. As you can imagine this is frustrating and makes it almost in possible to develop.

I haven't heard of this before, and haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10.  One thing I'm aware that may possibly be a cause -- if it isn't just some weird W10 bug -- is if you have a form open with a Timer event active.  We've seen it happen when you are writing code and a form's Timer event fires, the focus is temporarily stolen by the form, and whatever you were writing autocompletes.  So maybe this is something similar.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Sunday, October 11, 2015 4:10 PM
  • Hi Chrisjo,

I am failed to reproduce this issue using Office 2013 on Windows 10. As Dirk mentioned, please check whether this is a code issue first.

If not, I suggest that you try to update or repair the Office to see whether it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 12, 2015 2:21 AM
  • I've upgraded entirely to Windows 10, and I don't see this behavior on any of my systems with Access. However, I have seen some flakey behavior following a Windows 10 upgrade that required some troubleshooting.

If you can find no programmatic explanation as Dirk suggests, my recommendation would be to do the following:

1. First, try to repair the Office installation in Add/Remove Programs and see if that helps.
    2. Second, make sure all cumulative Windows 10 updates and other patches are applied. This often improves the stability of the system.
    3. If you've installed any add-ins into the VBA environment, uninstall them to test, then reinstall
    4. If none of these fixes the issue, then consider performing a PC Reset to create a "clean install" of Windows 10 on your machine.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, October 12, 2015 2:54 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 2:52 AM