Creating mp4 file on Asus tablet fails and Surface tablet OK

General discussion

• I have a Windows Store app 'Record Voice & Pen' in which I use Media Foundation to create mp4 files. I use the function MFCreateSinkWriterFromURL to create the file and the function IMFSinkWriter.WriteSample to write audio and video data to the file. This all works fine on my DELL laptop, my Surface tablet, and what I see from the reviews also on Surface PRO tablets. So these mp4 files and play well on all machines. When the app runs on an ASUS ME400C tablet, it creates an mp4 file, but the file can not be played back on that machine or on a Surface tablet. A review from a user contains the same story without specifying the tablet on which it doesn't work.

Does anybody know how it is possible that an app on two different machines behave differently? And how to find out what the problem is with the mp4 file created by the Asus machine? Are there tools that can help me analyzing that file?

Just in case someone is interested. I have here a mp4 created with an Asus machine
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9A6F31F60861DD2C!449&authkey=!AJVXFclI4BoJs0o
    and a mp4 created with my Dell laptop here
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9A6F31F60861DD2C!450&authkey=!AKtrfkDprZyJJI0

Regards

Ronald

• Changed type Jesse Jiang Monday, March 18, 2013 2:36 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:01 PM

All replies

• Addition:

If I open the file in TopoEdit tool, I get the following error:

Failed to create source node.

The byte stream type of the given URL is unsupported.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Did you update the video card driver of the tablet? Maybe this is driver's issue, it's better to contact the OEM.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Property MF_READWRITE_ENABLE_HARDWARE_TRANSFORMS on SinkWriter was set to true. When setting it to false, the video file created on the ASUS tablet is playable.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 9:26 AM