none
Unable to create directory C:\DriverTest\Setup. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to debug a device driver on a Windows 10 PC from a Windows 10 laptop, both running Visual Studio Community 2015 with Windows Driver Kit 10.0.

When I try to configure the PC from VS on the laptop (from an Administrator account), a WDKRemoteUser account is created and started, but the procedure rapidly fails with the message:

Unable to create directory C:\DriverTest\Setup.

That directory has actually been created on the PC and the laptop can read and write files there.

What is going wrong or where can I get more information to try to diagnose the problem?

The log on the laptop starts:

Name: Install Driver Test Components
      Path: C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WDKTestInfrastructure\InfrastructureTaskGroups\Install Driver Test Components.xml
      Target Computer: PETER-10-PC
    Install Driver Test Components: Host Computer: PETER-10-LAPTOP
    Install Driver Test Components: Host Architecture: x86
    Install Driver Test Components: Host 64bit Operating System: False
    Install Driver Test Components: Host Operating System Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Install Driver Test Components: Process Administrator Privilege: False
    Progress event: Current: 1, Max: 14, Message: ""
    Progress event: Current: 1, Max: 14, Message: "Copying required files"
    [10:46:11:762]: Copying required files
    [10:46:11:773]: Task "Copying required files" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

An error occurred on the target machine while copying a file from the host machine.
    Error code: 0
    Error message: Unable to create directory: C:\DriverTest\Setup.
    Progress event: Current: 1, Max: 14, Message: "    Task "Copying required files" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

An error occurred on the target machine while copying a file from the host machine.
    Error code: 0
    Error message: Unable to create directory: C:\DriverTest\Setup."
    Task result status updated: Aborted
    Result completed
    Test process exit code: 0

It then continues to try to configure the PC but everything fails following the original failure.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:41 AM

All replies

• Does anyfrom Microsoft ever bother to respond to anything?
    Friday, August 26, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Yes, they do; however, most of the driver experts in this forum are "old school" and don't use the automatic deployment mechanism (I don't), which is why you probably didn't get a response. I know that there are a variety of log files that are created by the deployment stuff, so I'd start looking at those. If you find the answer, please post it here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, August 26, 2016 7:43 PM
  • For me who is new at writing drivers, is that "old school" described somewhere? I had to go back to visual Studio 2015 and WDK 10.0.14363.0 already, because all later WDKs didn't contain the KMDF samples. Or is just assumed that anyone who tries to start creating a driver is experienced enough to not need any samples?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:55 AM
  • "Old school" is copying the driver binary to the target (after being installed), and then one of:

1. Unplug and plug-in the device
    2. Disable and then re-enable the device in Device Manager
    3. Reboot

You don't need to install/uninstall the driver each time. Just install it once, and thereafter copy the binary over to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:54 AM
  • To add to what Brian suggested, if you use Windbg you can use the .kdfiles command to have it do the copy whenever the driver is being loaded in the test environment.

I've worked with clients who really wanted to use the Visual Studio deployment stuff, for every version of VS and the WDK it seems like the incantation is different, in many cases it was 2 reboots or other things to get it to work.   Bottom line was once the customers learned the old school approach they found it faster and more reliable.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:49 PM