none
sharepoint 2007 site collection backup and restore to new content DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have site collection "HR"  which has a size of 20GB (Found through enumsites command). This site collection is part of content DB which is around 110GB. So to limit the growing contetn DB, we are created new Content DB.

I would like to know,the best way, to move this site collection from old content DB to new content DB, considering huge size of sitecollection (20GB)

I came across mergecontentBDs command, but its taking too much time and most of the time its failing.

Can i take simple backup of sitecollection (.bak) and then resore it in new DB?, if yes, can you please priovide some guidelines/steps?

Regards

Rohit

Regards, Rohit

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:53 AM

Answers

• Yes Rohit remove site collection or create the same site collection to some another web portal and restore DB on that new one. Then you have to redirect users to that new site collection URL.

Yes HR site collection will be created in new blank DB

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Rohit,

this is what you can follow

Site Collection:            xxxx/sites/HR

Existing DB:                 WSS_Content_HR (110 GB, including 20GB of HR site)

Plan is run stsaadm backup command

• In Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databasescreate a blank DB with
    • Site Level Warning : 9001
    • Maximum Number of Sites: 15001
    • Remove the HR site collection Or if you want create HR site collection on some new web portal but make sure to create blank DB in that web portal
    • By doing this HR site collection will automatically takes that blank DB
    • Then using stsaadm restore command restore the DB
    • This will restore your data to a new DB

Please let us know if this will be helpful, thanks.

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Thanks a lot Pratik. But i think i am bit confused :( , please see my inline comments

Plan is run stsaadm backup commandDo you mean Backup of site collection or Farm?, if site collection , then it will give me some.bak file, correct?

• In Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databasescreate a blank DB with-OK
    • Site Level Warning : 9001
    • Maximum Number of Sites: 15001
    • Remove the HR site collection Or if you want create HR site collection on some new web portal but make sure to create blank DB in that web portal = You mean delete site collection?
    • By doing this HR site collection will automatically takes that blank DB= Automatically?
    • Then using stsaadm restore command restore the DB
    • This will restore your data to a new DB

Again thanks for a superquick reply. If you can point me to some blog/article, which explains restoring of Big sitecollections, it would also help.

Regards, Rohit

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Yes Rohit remove site collection or create the same site collection to some another web portal and restore DB on that new one. Then you have to redirect users to that new site collection URL.

Yes HR site collection will be created in new blank DB

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:12 AM