Develop Win8 Apps with MSVisStudio2013RC Express

Question

• I want to develop Win8 Apps and have MSVisStudio2013RCExpress but this does not seem to be capable of developing Win8 Apps?! I posted my question a few days ago on Microsoft community forum (Win8 App Dev with MSVisStudio2013RCExpress)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi

I would like to develop Win 8 apps with MSVisStudio2013RCExpress version.
    However I can find no tutorials to help me do this.
    In the MSVisStudio IDE I can find no sign of Windows store option nor package.appxmanifest.
    On the dl page for MSVisStudio2013RCExpress it says
    'You can use Visual Studio Express 2013 RC for Windows Desktop to create powerful desktop apps in C#, Visual Basic, and C++'
    Does it really mean this or does it mean create programs in C#/VB/C++ rather than Win8 apps?
    I have spent a lot of time searching on the internet tonight for help to get started with making Win8 apps with VisStudioRC2013Express and found no help, so this has been a fruitless waste of time!
    If I cannot develop Win8 apps & tiles etc with MSVisStudio2013RCExpress then what should I be using?(DesktopPC runs Win8)

I am most grateful for and look forward to helpful replies.Thanks

My blog - http://www.richard-dickinson.com

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob

I have had my new computer with Win8 for 5 days only and now on your suggestion I have upgraded to Win8.1. Amazing!

Can I now use my MSVisStudio2013RCExpress to create Win 8 apps? If so, how and if not what else do you recommend I do to get this functionality to build Win 8 Apps?

I look forward to your further help, many thanks

NB..I am dl/installing Vis Studio 2013 Preview right now. I will update my progress after install....

Edit2:

Well, I now have my original MSVisStudio2013RCExpress with which I can create VB/VisC++/VisC# programs & now MSVisStudio2013Preview with which I can create Win 8 apps in my new Win8.1 upgraded OS. All seems very confusing to me (why no one IDE suitable to make all programs & apps together?). I hope to proceed with my coding/program making now.. :-)

EDIT 3......

MANY THANKS TO ALL for your helpful replies (including Nigel below). My original problem is solved with my installs of MSVisualStudio2013Express & MSVisualStudio2013Preview. I have got as far as part 2 to HelloWorld VisualC++ Win8 app tutorial last week but I felt I needed a brush up on C programming before starting C++ and Visual C++ so I have just completed "Learn C" on Udemy (34 video lectures with Hitesh Choudhary) and am currently practising arrays and other C stuff! I really look forward to finishing that and starting Visual C++ programming especially Win 8 App programming.

Best wishes to everyone for your help & happy programming on Windows! :-)

• Marked as answer by rpd Monday, October 28, 2013 8:40 PM
    • Edited by rpd Monday, October 28, 2013 8:47 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:00 PM

All replies

• You need Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows to write Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:41 PM
  • I suggest you might set up a machine with Windows 8 or 8.1 plus Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows. The apps built on this machine are compatable with both 8 and 8.1.

If you use VS2013 instead of VS2012, the apps you build are compatible with Windows 8.1 only, and fail to run on Windows 8. This may not desirable as some users may not upgrade to 8.1 at this time.

• Edited by Leonard Friday, October 18, 2013 4:09 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your link but it would not install on my Win8 PC

(presumably this needs Win8.1?).

Surely there is a MS Express VisStudio product that will create Win8 apps?

I will keep looking....

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Correct. Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows targets Windows 8.1 apps and requires Windows 8.1. You need Visual Studio 2012 to write Windows 8 apps. I'd recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 and using Visual Studio 2013.

I'm not sure where (or if) you can get Visual Studio 2012 Express anymore. I'll double check and let you know.

--Rob

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30664

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi Rob

I have had my new computer with Win8 for 5 days only and now on your suggestion I have upgraded to Win8.1. Amazing!

Can I now use my MSVisStudio2013RCExpress to create Win 8 apps? If so, how and if not what else do you recommend I do to get this functionality to build Win 8 Apps?

I look forward to your further help, many thanks

NB..I am dl/installing Vis Studio 2013 Preview right now. I will update my progress after install....

Edit2:

Well, I now have my original MSVisStudio2013RCExpress with which I can create VB/VisC++/VisC# programs & now MSVisStudio2013Preview with which I can create Win 8 apps in my new Win8.1 upgraded OS. All seems very confusing to me (why no one IDE suitable to make all programs & apps together?). I hope to proceed with my coding/program making now.. :-)

EDIT 3......

MANY THANKS TO ALL for your helpful replies (including Nigel below). My original problem is solved with my installs of MSVisualStudio2013Express & MSVisualStudio2013Preview. I have got as far as part 2 to HelloWorld VisualC++ Win8 app tutorial last week but I felt I needed a brush up on C programming before starting C++ and Visual C++ so I have just completed "Learn C" on Udemy (34 video lectures with Hitesh Choudhary) and am currently practising arrays and other C stuff! I really look forward to finishing that and starting Visual C++ programming especially Win 8 App programming.

Best wishes to everyone for your help & happy programming on Windows! :-)

• Marked as answer by rpd Monday, October 28, 2013 8:40 PM
    • Edited by rpd Monday, October 28, 2013 8:47 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:00 PM
  • I use VS2012 and 2013.

You create an Win 8 app by creating a project with "New project"

You will then be given lots of different choice of desktop apps, Windows 8 apps and various different languages.

It depends on what type of program you want to develop as to which type of project you use.

I recently created a couple of games so I used C++ and directx. You can choose whether to use XAML with this or not.You can also create C# programs. If you dont want to use high speed graphics then I would recommend C# otherwise you need C++.

n.Wright

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:41 PM
  • To clarify Nigel's post, you can create new Windows 8 apps using Visual Studio 2012 Express and you can create new Windows 8.1 apps (or upgrade old ones) with Visual Studio 2013 Express.

You cannot edit Windows 8 apps in Visual Studio 2013 Express, but can do so in higher level versions of Visual Studio 2013.

See the sticky post Getting started: What versions of Visual Studio and Windows do I need to write an app for Windows 8.1 for more details.

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:20 PM