none
Custom winsxs in deployment project RRS feed

• Question

• Inherited a VS2008 ActiveX project whose installation fails regsvr32 because of "side by side" error. Have set of DLLs and manifest and catalog that I believe will resolve "side by side" error. But how to tell setup and deployment project to install the set of DLLs and manifest and catalog into target system Windows/winsxs folder? Thanks.
    • Edited by FrankNatoli Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:33 PM
    • Moved by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects  forum is a better forum for your issue. I moved this thread there, you will get better support there.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Inherited a VS2008 ActiveX project whose installation fails regsvr32 because of "side by side" error. Have set of DLLs and manifest and catalog that I believe will resolve "side by side" error. But how to tell setup and deployment project to install the set of DLLs and manifest and catalog into target system Windows/winsxs folder? Thanks.

Hello,

We could use VS2008 to create a setup project and install these files to the folder of target machine.

As it seems this is a C++ library, you could refer to the following document

#How to: Deploy a Setup and Deployment Project   [C++]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235317(v=vs.90).aspx

If you want to copy these files to specific folder of target system, you could add that custom folder with the following way.

• In the folder list of the File System Editor, select the File System on Target Machine node.

• On the Action menu, point to Add Special Folder, and then click Custom Folder.

The new folder is highlighted in the folder list.

• Type a name for the custom folder.

For example, to target the Temp folder, type "Temp Folder".

• In the Properties window, select the DefaultLocation property and enter the Windows Installer system folder property for the folder you wish to target.

For example, the property for the Temp folder is [TempFolder]. For a list of system folder properties supported by Windows Installer, see System Folder Properties.

For more information, you could refer to the document and thread below.

1. # How to: Add a Custom Folder to Target a Predefined Windows Folder

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/716bxh4e(v=vs.90).aspx

2. how to copy files to C:\temp in VS 2008 setup project?

Regards.

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Carl, thanks for your time. I had seen and read the "Deploy a Setup and Deployment Project" and while it describes something close to what I need, it's not quite what I need. That page shows how to install an EXE and/or DLL that is dependent on a Microsoft Merge Module, the merge module being found in Windows\winsxs.

I actually need to install some DLLs into Windows\winsxs.

I inherited the DLLs and associated CAT and MANIFEST files as well as matching CAT and POLICY redirection files. I need to get my setup project to install the DLLs and the POLICY redirection in Windows\winsxs but cannot find any documentation describing how to do that.

Thanks again for your time.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Carl, thanks for your time. I had seen and read the "Deploy a Setup and Deployment Project" and while it describes something close to what I need, it's not quite what I need. That page shows how to install an EXE and/or DLL that is dependent on a Microsoft Merge Module, the merge module being found in Windows\winsxs.

I actually need to install some DLLs into Windows\winsxs.

I inherited the DLLs and associated CAT and MANIFEST files as well as matching CAT and POLICY redirection files. I need to get my setup project to install the DLLs and the POLICY redirection in Windows\winsxs but cannot find any documentation describing how to do that.

Thanks again for your time.

Hello,

For installing these dlls, we could not get that done except the way I have shared as below, did it work for you?

>>If you want tocopy these files to specific folder of target system, you could add that custom folder with the following way.

• In the folder list of the File System Editor, select the File System on Target Machine node.

• On the Action menu, point to Add Special Folder, and then click Custom Folder.

The new folder is highlighted in the folder list.

• Type a name for the custom folder.

For example, to target the Temp folder, type "Temp Folder".

• In the Properties window, select the DefaultLocation property and enter the Windows Installer system folder property for the folder you wish to target.

For example, the property for the Temp folder is [TempFolder]. For a list of system folder properties supported by Windows Installer, see System Folder Properties.

For more information, you could refer to the document and thread below.

1. # How to: Add a Custom Folder to Target a Predefined Windows Folder

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/716bxh4e(v=vs.90).aspx

2. how to copy files to C:\temp in VS 2008 setup project?

Regards.

Carl

Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Carl, thanks again for your time.

To be clear, are you saying that a Visual Studio setup and deployment project can neither install DLLs in Windows\WinSXS nor can it install or register a policy file that declares a "binding redirect" for those DLLs?

I have DLLs for VS2008 9.0.30729.1 that need to be made available for VS2008 9.0.21022.8 via "binding redirect". It's not a problem of getting the files to the target system. It's a problem of getting the files to Windows\WinSXS with appropriate policy installation or registration.

Can that be done via a setup and deployment project?

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:45 PM
  • In general the issue is getting the files correct, manifest and signed cat files etc. The steps are outlined here regarding creating those files:

http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Tutorial-How-to-install-files-into-WinSxS-td841475.html

But if you already have the correct files I don't know exactly what you've tried and if it's working or not. Have you tried to install them at all?

Phil Wilson

Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:37 PM