Regarding adding a XML data source in Expression Blend RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I created a new app  in Blend, when I try to feed my Twitter URL to the XML Data source (in data tab), its not giving me any strcuture of the data.

I cannot dril down, into the data structure. I added two new entries into the twitter.But still its not reflecting. Has it got somethign to do with overriding default proxy?

Can anyone help

THanks in advance.

Regards
    Sandeep
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 11:05 AM

All replies

• Do you use a WebService for getting the XML-Data?
    Try to bind with XPath in the XML-Dom.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Did you resolve your query or do you still have a problem?

I am having the exact same issue. I have tried it on numerous pc's and numerous internet connections.

I have tried it with a few rss feeds also not just my twitter account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Do you have a WPF or SL project?
    Do you use a Webservice?

Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

I have a very simple WPF project that I am only editing in Expression Blend at this moment.

It consists of two row definitions, a grid and a button.

I try to add and xml source via the data grop, give it a name and ten paste in the rss address and click ok. It then is supposed to allow me to drill down through each of the elements. However nothing happens when I click on the item.

Hope you can help.

Friday, June 19, 2009 10:19 AM
  • but your datagrid is filled up with values. Or is this exactly the problem, that the grid isn't populated?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:01 AM
  • I have no code to populate the grid. It is a basic app with default markup. I need to create a data source so I can display a twitter feed.

It happens on a new project with a blank window.

I click on the data group (bottom right usually) then click the +xml button which brings up the Add XML Data Source dialog. I then enter a connection name of rssDS and then paste the twitter rss feed int the URL for XML data field, I then click the infer the schema from XML Data option and click ok.

rssDS is then listed in the data section but when I click on it nothing happens. According to the Expression Blend Unleashed book and other tutorials on the web I am supposed to be able to browse the xml elements. Nothing happens when I click on it.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:28 AM
  • You should have something like
    <XmlDataProvider x:Key="products" Source="rssFeed.xml"
    XPath="/Products"></XmlDataProvider>
    in your code.
    Then you can bind your grid

<ListBox Name="lstProducts" Margin="5" DisplayMemberPath="ModelName"
    ItemsSource="{Binding Source={StaticResource products}, XPath=Product}" ></ListBox>

in this example the XML has a structure like

<Products>
      <Product>
      </Product>
      <Product>
      </Product>
    </Products>
    The elements in Product you then can bind to textboxes or whatever you like. But don't forget to bind with the XPath property
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:48 AM
  • With expression blend yon can add an XMLSource via the data section (+XML) button. This should then allow you to click on the item and expand the xml schema. You can then drag and drop which element you want to display to the grid control.

I am not able to expand the data source. The source is based on an RSS feed from twitter.

Take a look the following tutorial. I get to step 5 and then do not get the results shown in the following image.

http://donburnett.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/twittering-around-in-expression-blend-part-1/
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:03 PM
  • I followed the steps and after creating the XML-DataSource i can see the XML-Structure.
    Which version of Blend do you use?

I created a WPF-Application with Blend 2 SP 1
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:22 PM
  • I have the same version. Did you use a twitter rss feed or something else?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I tried the rss-feed in the example with no problems.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Unbelievable..... It has now started to work.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Twitter seems to require security until you access their public feed (URL posted in sample article).
    http://twitter.com/statuses/public_timeline.rss

Adding the above URL as a .Net DataSource in Blend gives you the feed structure that you can click down into.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:00 AM