Net Send between Windows XP and Windows Vista/Windows7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

First of all if this is not a th right place my apologizes. I have a simple question. Its possible to send message with net send in Windows XP to a machine running Windows Vista/Windows 7? If not why?
    Thank you all in advance.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• No, because the Messenger service is not available in Windows 7

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Thanks for your answer mate.
    So there is no way for Windows XP user send mesages throught net send to Windows 7 without install third-party applications?
    Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Net send requires the messenger service to be available and running.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Messenger service no longer available in Windows 7. It was replaced by the msg command. So, you will need a 3rd party app to send messages from XP to windows 7.
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Messenger service no longer available in Windows 7. It was replaced by the msg command. So, you will need a 3rd party app to send messages from XP to windows 7.

So it's not possible to replace the "net" binary in System32 with the old version from XP, and install the messenger service from a set of files scrounged from a computer that has them?

There's probably major issues with this, I know, but it's just a thought...

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:06 PM