Failed outgoing UDP connection on Windows RT

Question

• My Windows Store application communicates with remote systems over UDP. The application runs fine and communicates with the remote system when run from my development system, Windows 8 Pro x64. However, if I deploy the application to my Surface RT it fails to communicate with the remote system when run. No exception is thrown, its just as if no data is going through. Is it possible that I'm encountering a firewall blocking issue on the Surface?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:40 AM

Answers

• I tested the application on an Atom tablet and it worked just fine. I fired up Wireshark on the remote system and when running the ARM version I see an attempt to connect but my data is mangled, so the remote system never responds back. Apparently there must be some issues with how the binary data that I'm transferring over the network is being handled when compiled for ARM.

Friday, March 01, 2013 4:21 AM

All replies

• A firewall issue is likely. Check that your app and ports are on the allowed list.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:54 PM
    Owner
  • I checked the firewall and the application has an outgoing rule in place. It's really weird. netstat show no connection created on either source or destination. Stepping though my code in the debugger, everything looks fine. Running this on an x86 system (desktop), it connects and works just fine. Frustrating.
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:32 AM
  • I tested the application on an Atom tablet and it worked just fine. I fired up Wireshark on the remote system and when running the ARM version I see an attempt to connect but my data is mangled, so the remote system never responds back. Apparently there must be some issues with how the binary data that I'm transferring over the network is being handled when compiled for ARM.

Friday, March 01, 2013 4:21 AM