HP TM2T running Windows 8 (Tablet PC)

General discussion

• Hi Everyone,

I used the upgrade function in Windows 8 Developer Edition and I'm not sure how HP's Touch Drivers and Software got mixed into Windows 8 new native support. I can use the touch fine, but when I pull out the stylus, Windows seems to only recognize it as a Mouse type of device. Applications like Photoshop loose the pressure sensitivity and OneNote doesn't see it as a stylus but a mouse pointer. 

Also, I'm not sure if the Ultra Low Voltage Core i5 is too underpowered for Windows 8, but I do know it's being utilized a lot more than it was in Windows 7. This issue and the inability to control the brightness via the Metro Interface takes a toll on my battery time. 

Just giving the Windows 8 Developers a chime on how it's operating on the HP Touchsmart TM2T.  So far, the Operating System is coming along nicely. Just please give us the option to disable the Metro UI. I just don't see myself using it on my three monitors at home, the Metro UI is a nice feature though. 

Thanks, Evan Janusziewicz

Ev Jan
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• I have a TM2T-2100, brightness doesn't work for me, but stylus does work. In ArtRage it works really well, same as Journal. I haven't tried OneNote or Photoshop, but I believe those applications don't use WinTab for pressure.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Any update as to whether or not the brightness issue has been resolved?
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:15 PM
  • I tried Windows 8 for my Tm2t as well and I thought it was working quite smooth. The brightness not working is a problem one I'm sure will be fixed easily however I think the main concern for battery not lasting long is that our model of HP TM2T (that is any model with the Core i5) Utilizes an ATI radeon graphics chip for enchanced graphics performance and a second integrated intel graphics chip for low power consumption. There is a driver that is included with the TM2T that allows seamless switching between graphics chips on the included Windows 7 and turns off the other but for anything else such as linux and I'm sure Windows 8 (for now) BOTH graphics processors are active and consuming power. Also ATI's 'Powerplay' (power savings) is probably not being used either. If I'm right you will notice your computer runs the fan a bit more and is probably a little more warmer than usual while running Windows 8 preview or any other OS. I'd wager battery life will be more improved once that is addressed versus the brightness in my opinion. 

I believe it's possible to have a temporary fix but due to College reasons for me using this laptop/Tablet PC I couldn't keep Windows 8 on it. So I couldn't experiment further.

I'm just anal when it comes to things like 2 graphics chips running that weren't meant to be run at the same time, I like things working as they should unless I got better performance but I'm sure you only get worse battery life.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:49 PM