none
SQL Server 2017 v17.0. Cannot create password for User Login

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to setup SQL with R.

https://stephanefrechette.com/data-analytics-r-sql-server/#.WQBW2YjyvIU

For some reason when I try to create a Login User in Microsoft SQL 17.0 I am unable to change the password for either sa or RUser.  I have checked and enabled the Named Pipes and TCP/IP is enabled and I also enabled under the Security for the Server to enable "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode" and every time I try to change the password in SSMS it does not work and defaults back to whatever all these dots are.  I cannot copy it.

Please help.  It should not take anybody 6 hours to figure out how to do this.  I have wasted all this time and have found no answers.  I am wondering if I am the first person to experience this issue.  It should not be that hard to login to any software.

Brian

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:27 PM

Answers

• Well try

ALTER LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD = 'YourVerySecretPasswordHERE'

from a query window.

• Marked as answer by BrianWiley23 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:44 PM

All replies

• The dots represent the password. It is not displayed in clear text. Or for that matter stored as clear text. Or even something that can be reverted the original password. Does the new password work for you?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Yes so I  cannot type a new password.  That is the problem.  Every time I try to type a new password and click ok and then go back into that user the password reverts back to whatever that default that Microsoft puts in.  I would try to add a quick video but that is not allowed here.  

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Well try

ALTER LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD = 'YourVerySecretPasswordHERE'

from a query window.

• Marked as answer by BrianWiley23 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:44 PM
  • worked thanks!  i tried that last night and did not work, i think running the sqlcmd under the command prompt did something in addition to switching back to the odbc 11.0 driver instead of 13.0 driver.  I have discovered a thread here which indicates there is issue with 13.0 that has not been fixed yet.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/2637102/odbc-driver-13-for-sql-server-cannot-connect-to-localdb-instance

sometimes you don't really know what fixes your issues i guess is my motto.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:58 PM