Spatial Changes in SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is anybody aware of/has discovered any changes in SQL Server 2008 R2 that affect spatial features?

Obviously, there's the map display in RS Report Builder, but I was interested more if there were any changed features in the database engine itself.
    Playing around with CTP-2, I haven't been able to see any so far - SSIS still doesn't support shapefiles, and some of the previously known bugs are still present.

When the geometry and geography datatypes were first introduced in SQL 2008 we were told that they were to provide a functional, but limited "first attempt" at adding spatial capability to the database, and at this I think Microsoft have been very succesful. But there's a huge wishlist of wanted features - support for curves, 3D, raster data etc. - should we expect the next big update of spatial features to occur in SQL11?
    Beginning Spatial with SQL Server http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430218290
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Good question Tan :)

(sorry I can't help and answer it, though).
    -Pure Krome-
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hi Tanoshimi,

Not in R2.  From the core engine perspective, the R2 release is pretty minimal: most of the changes are in the BI stack.  We added support for >64 processors, but I think that may be it.  The spatial team is targeting the next major release for additional functionality.

Cheers,
    -Isaac
    Isaac Kunen, Microsoft SQL Server
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Thanks Isaac - I thought this was the case but it's good to hear it confirmed
    Beginning Spatial with SQL Server http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430218290
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:59 AM
    Answerer
  • The new spatial capabilities of Reporting Services are definitely the largest contribution to the Spatial stack and worth exploring further. They provide the ability to overlay SQL Server Spatial layers over Bing Maps raster layers and ESRI Shapefile layers. Also it is possible to call geometry's and geography's methods within RS expressions and even do union aggregation.

Monday, September 7, 2009 8:39 AM
  • HI,

I also like to add some in wishlist. ETL support for Spatial data.

I like to add the additional featues along with spatial data.

MapPoint is the added advantage. we can utilize to the great extend.

Thanks
    Ayyappan
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:02 AM