none
NDIS driver for LAN switch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

we have an i.MX6 processor connected via RMII (ENET) to an LAN switch (KSZ8873MLL) having two PHY ports available.

I am using as basis the NDIS driver included in the Adeneo' WEC2013 BSP for i.MX6. The driver is implemented to be used with only one physical transceiver. In that sense, adjusting the PHY address in the driver I can work with one and only one port currently. Both are working, but exclusively.

I am a little confused about the steps that I have to do to convert the driver to allow handling two (or more) PHY ports simultaneously.

I hope that someone may give me some hints and advice to achieve that.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alexander 

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:18 PM

All replies

• What are you trying to do exactly?  The PHY ports should work in standalone (store and forward) mode, so you would not need to "connect" to one of those?

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply.

When the driver starts, it iterates different PHY addresses (0...32) until it gets responds via MDIO bus from any PHY device.

When it finds the first PHY (in my case, the first address PHY is one), it uses that PHY address to access the standard MII registers to check status, autonegotiation, speed, capabilities an so on. Since the routine stops when it finds the first PHY, it does not configure/initialize the second PHY port (address two).

After that, all the media status changes are obtained using the PHY address one. That is the reason, I don't get any notification whe I plug/unplug the Ethernet cable in the second port.

In the past, I while ago, I used another device having a switch and as far as I remember I have to do nothing in the driver to get it working, and I think that is what you are trying to tell me. Actually in the KSZ8873MLL's datasheet it states that it operates in store and forward mode...

Thanks.

Alex

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:06 PM