Unable to delete a storage account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't have technical support so I have to ask for help here. There is a premium storage account that I don't use. It contains one container and the container contains (oh well) one blob. I want to delete the entire storage account, but unfortunately I'm unable to do that.

Here's a message I get when I try to remove the account:

Failed to delete storage account lupineuwps1. Unable to delete storage account 'lupineuwps1': 'Storage account lupineuwps1 has some active image(s) and/or disk(s)

Completely understandable. Thus, I try to remove the container. The following error appears:

Failed to delete storage container media. {1}

Well, that doesn't say much. And here's the error I get when I try to remove the blob:

Failed to delete storage blob media/lupin-euw-vm2-20150604-xxxxxx.vhd. {1}

I haven't used that particular storage account for about a month now, yet it kees draining my Azure credit. Billing support wasn't able to help me.

What can I do?

Friday, July 3, 2015 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Scenario 1 :

A storage account can’t be deleted if it has VHDs that are attached as disk. These disks are created when creating Azure IaaS VM and you might have deleted the VMs but the disks are still around with a lease on the VHD located in this storage account.

Below steps which will help you delete all VHD blobs and storage containers for your account.

Please follow the below steps :

1. Delete the necessary VM which has a lease on this VHD (If not already deleted).

2. Delete the associated disks/images, while deleting these, please ensure to select ”Delete the
    associated VHD“. You could also delete the VHDs manually.

3. Once the associated VHD’s are deleted, you will be able to delete the storage account.

Scenaio 2 :

Login to Azure portal. 

Navigate to Virtual Machine -> Images.

Select the image : Annayak-1-8-1-0-1-Ubuntu-12-10. 

Delete the image. 

You can chose to delete the associated VHD. 

After deleting the VHD, you should be able to delete the storage account.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Scenario 1 :

A storage account can’t be deleted if it has VHDs that are attached as disk. These disks are created when creating Azure IaaS VM and you might have deleted the VMs but the disks are still around with a lease on the VHD located in this storage account.

Below steps which will help you delete all VHD blobs and storage containers for your account.

1. Delete the necessary VM which has a lease on this VHD (If not already deleted).

2. Delete the associated disks/images, while deleting these, please ensure to select ”Delete the

3. Once the associated VHD’s are deleted, you will be able to delete the storage account.

Scenaio 2 :

Login to Azure portal. 

Delete the image. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

Scenario 1 :

Scenaio 2 :

Login to Azure portal. 

Delete the image. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Same situation I am in but new portal with nothing there to delete left over that would hold this stupid disk there but would not delete no matter what I do. I have another thread that just keeps adding more posts because people on these forums cannot figure their own system out to get rid of this none used disk that is not even attached to a VM and shows nothing on the VM classics because nothing is there to find. Stupid as hell.
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 8:49 PM
  • I've got the same issue, all the VM's are deleted etc and yet it is still in use. I can't raise a support case even though the system is malfunctioning?

Stupid!!

Monday, May 30, 2016 5:27 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue. Dont see the option to view the attached disks in Virtual Machines blade. 

Can you please provide help to delete this. It is eating up resources
    Monday, November 14, 2016 2:28 AM
  • First you need to remove the stuff inside of containers...you can do graphically this stuff using "Cloud Explorer" avaialable in Visutal Studio.

Tariq Younas

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I have resolved this issue. I went to old portal and there I found the option to see the disks. I deleted those disks and I am good to delete the storage container.

For old management portal: https://manage.windowsazure.com

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:28 AM