none
How to use WSUS API by C++? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I want to use WSUS API. Somebody suggests me to use managed c++ to achieve it, but I don't know the way. Is there any body knows these? Besides I want to package the programe to a DLL file, can managed c++? Or is there any other languages that can do so?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Start with samples: http://blogcastrepository.com/blogs/skatterbrainz/archive/2008/08/13/wsus-3-0-api-samples-download.aspx
    If you have specific WSUS API questions, please ask on specific WSUS forum (you can start with WSUS blog).

Managed C++ is similar to C++. Read more on wikipedia. Learn more in Managed C++ tutorials.
    In short: Yes, you can create DLL/EXE with Managed C++. However it will be probably easier and less confusing for you (as C++ developer) to use C# (as this answer suggested). C# can as well produce EXE/DLL.

-Karel
    • Marked as answer by Cockoo Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:02 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:56 AM
  • I'm a little confused, I've asked many times in WSUS forum, and there is a MVP who helps me a lot. He tells me the right languages that can use WSUS API, but refuses to tell me the details because he's not a developer, so I come to here for help.

Is managed C++ concluded in Visual Studio, or I need to install another programe, if I want to use managed C++?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Hi, Cockoo:

When installing Visual Studio, there's a step for you to choose to install Visual C++ or not. After installing it, managed C++ will be available to you. Karel's suggestion could be a reasonable start.

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Sam, thanks for reminding.

I want to reference a DLL file Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.dll by using managed C++. For one, if C# can make DLL file, and that DLL file could be used in everywhere, I would use it at once, but I'm not sure. For two, if I use managed C++, I don't know the way to reference the DLL file, if you know, please informe me in detail. For three, I'm new to programe, some basic concepts are not very clear, I'm working at it, if you know, please help me!

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hi, Cockoo:

We could continue our cooperation here, if you don't mind.

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:29 AM
  • Start with samples: http://blogcastrepository.com/blogs/skatterbrainz/archive/2008/08/13/wsus-3-0-api-samples-download.aspx
    If you have specific WSUS API questions, please ask on specific WSUS forum (you can start with WSUS blog).

Managed C++ is similar to C++. Read more on wikipedia. Learn more in Managed C++ tutorials.
    In short: Yes, you can create DLL/EXE with Managed C++. However it will be probably easier mpg and less confusing for you (as C++ developer) to use C# (as this answer suggested). C# can as well produce EXE/DLL.

-Karel

Thanks for all the info. It is very useful to me as a beginner. Many thanks.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:35 AM