none
send an email from azure functions when a process finishes RRS feed

• Question

• I have a device that sends data in text form to a blob on AZURE, once the blob receives the data it triggers a function in azure functions which is basically and executable file made from c++ code, when it finishes it generates another text file which is stored in other blob

it is a very simple operation. But now I would like to receive an email each time the function goes trough successfully, I have searched on the web but the tutorial are very confusing or does not address this simple task.

I did developed the executable file with c++ but I inherited the azure function from someone else and I have zero experience with azure (i am electrical engineer not computer science). The azure function is written in C#, I just need a guide.

Thank you in advance!!

Thursday, May 4, 2017 9:31 PM

All replies

• There's no built in function in Azure Functions to have it send an email when it completes, so what you would need to do is have the C# code in your function send the email once it has completed. You'd need to use an SMTP relay to send the mail, such as Sendgrid or Office 365. Here's an article on using Sendgrid to do this.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:16 PM
  • Yes, Sam Cogan is correct.  You can use SendGrid as an output binding to your Azure Function.  Here's the SO response posted by another customer to the same question.
    • Edited by Ling Toh Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:24 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:23 PM
  • thank you for both your responses, is there a similar page for office365? I only seem to find SendGrid
    Friday, May 5, 2017 6:26 PM